$4000

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airsickness

Reaction score
Lets say your brother in law is finally paying you back the $4000 he borrowed 3 years ago. ($4000 that you thought you would never see again). I have a 14ft Smoker craft v-hull. I want a 25hp motor. Electric start two stroke. What would be your first choice.
Kenny

Why two stroke? If i had $4000 i would go 4 stroke sure. I love my Johnson 2 smoke but mixing gas adds up.

muskiemike12 said:
Take a look at the new EFI Suzuki motor. Can you still find new 25hp 2-strokes?

I have not seen a 2 stroke 25hp lately. I thought Id ask anyway. I do appreciate the replies though.

4 stroke honda. I have a 15 horse and its an awesome little motor.
Pushes my 14' jon 24mph and is whisper qiuet.

crazymanme2 said:
I'd buy a black motor.(Mercury)You'd only have to spend less than half of that $4000.

I'm pretty sure all of the last 5-4 years 25hp and lower Merc's are being made by Tohatsu and slapping them in the Merc housing (https://www.onlineoutboards.com/Help.html?Question=Nissan-vs-Tohatsuhttps://www.onlineoutboards.com/Help.html?Question=Nissan-vs-Tohatsu). I read that somewhere just recently, but can't remember where I saw it. Either way - I like my 9.9 bigfoot no matter who makes it (Merc, Tohatsu or Nissan)

BUT - I have seen some of the new Honda's running... they are pretty quiet and push pretty well too.

If you are going to spend the whole $4K on a motor - I would get as much motor as I could for that amount of money

Yamaha. IF you can find one. 25ESH is the model you're looking for. They were discontinued in 2010, IIRC but there are still a few floating around.

Advantages:
twin carbs (everything else is single carb or EFI). Twin carbs make for a cleaner idle as well as a better top end up to about 6200 RPM. ~114 lbs (electric start 15"). Rock solid. Not bulletproof but they seem to hold up better than most of the other brands. I have had the (mis)fortune of messing with all of the major brands before my boss went yamaha only. We saw all of the other brands in the shop often but rarely a Yamaha. Nowdays we rarely see Yamaha outboards at all, unless it's fuel system related, which happens to them all. EFI included.

I like the 4 strokes myself, however, I havent' seen anything that impresses me. The ETEC's are so heavy that there's no advantage other than "less maintenance" supposedly. They use a bit more fuel than the 4 stroke stuff (not much). Weigh the same. The only advantage I can think of is maintenance. Don't have to change oil once a year. Big deal.

EFI is great until it needs servicing. Then you'll probably swear at it. Don't let the fuel get old-but that also goes for carbureted motors; EFI just being more complex to clean the system once it gums up.

For 4 grand I could probably get my 30-40 hp Honda! My brother in law (any of two exes and the current) would probably skip town and I would never see them again! I prefer 2 strokes too, but man those Hondas are slick as snot. Or you could look into a real nice older motor for less than half the 4 grand and then buy some other goodies such as new electronics, electric anchor system, new seats, or loan it to me....I can get it back to you in less than 3 yrs! Ha ha Whatever ya do man enjoy it!
Chris

Johnson and Evinrude, from the years 1996 to around 2000 made a 3-cylinder 25hp and 35hp engine. This engine was known as the Mirage family of engines. There arent many around and they aren't going to be cheap but if you can find one it will put a grin on your face! The 25hp is a 500cc engine originally designed for the 500cc racing classes in Europe. The 35hp is a 565cc engine. I haven't found another 25hp of any brand that will hold a candle to it in acceleration or top end and I am in the marine business still. I own 4 of these engines at the moment and am always on the lookout for more.

I had a 25 hp etec that I loved. I am going to pinch my pennies until I can buy a 90 for my new boat. They are right around that price point, but worth every nickel, it started and ran like a champion in below zero duck hunting conditions.

id personally buy a used 25 hp OMC from the 80s or early 2000 and pocket the extra 3 grand youll have left over.

this coming from someone who owns a merc 25

these would be two I'd look at..

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/3531862141.html

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/3557646225.html

These kind of threads are the BEST! Its so much fun spending someone else's money :LOL2:

Like some others have mentioned, are you wanting to spend the entire $4k on an engine, or would you consider getting a used engine and saving a couple grand?

If you want to spend it all, a new 25HP four stroke would be my recommendation. Honda, Tohatsu, Yamaha, Nissan, Mercury etc.... all good motors. Decide based on which one has a dealership close to you that provides excellent service levels. 2012 leftovers are on sale everywhere right now.

If you don't need to spend it all, you can probably find a mid to late 90s 25HP two stroke Johnson or Mercury for about $1,000. If you shop wisely, you can find one that runs like a top and you'll still have $3k in your pocket.

If you decide to buy used, look for a boat/motor/trailer combo on Craigslist. The whole combo usually sells for about what the motor would sell for by itself. Keep the motor and sell the boat/trailer to recover most if not all of your cost.

JoshKeller said:
id personally buy a used 25 hp OMC from the 80s or early 2000 and pocket the extra 3 grand youll have left over.

this coming from someone who owns a merc 25

these would be two I'd look at..

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/3531862141.html

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/boa/3557646225.html

couldnt agree more, 70's-80's OMC is what id look for, them old OMC's that were made from the 60's up until the early 90's are pretty much all the same design and thats because they were simple,reliable and built like tanks. these newer motors nowadays designs are being improved on every couple years, and if they were such great motors why would they change so much from year to year? id hafta say they are not the great motors they claim them to be, like the saying goes...if it aint broke dont fix it. you find an older OMC thats been taken care of and if maintained id bet my left you know what that it would run as long if not longer than any of the new/newer 4 strokes and if something needs replaced or repaired anybody who can read and has very basic mechanical aptitude can buy a service manual and make the repairs their self and save the hundreds/thousands it may and probally would cost to have a certified tech to do the work on one of the new high tech whatever ya wanna call it 4 strokes. and with the 2500 or 3000 grand you save you could buy a lot of other stuff and have a reliable motor.

I have owned a 50hp Yamaha and a 50hp Mercury (present motor).

I love the black one way more.

Way more better sound.
Way more better power.
Way more reliability.

I like to hear my motor running :D

Got the black one for $5000. plus so you have plenty $$$ to pick YOUR favorite.

WELL, its been nearly a month since I was told I will be paid.
I may have to fund my motor with my tax return.... ](*,)

Lesson #1 to take away:
Don't lend money to friends unless you are willing to lose both.
Lesson#2
Don't lend money to family unless you want every family gathering to be completely uncomfortable.

airsickness said:
WELL, its been nearly a month since I was told I will be paid.
I may have to fund my motor with my tax return.... ](*,)

Lesson #1 to take away:
Don't lend money to friends unless you are willing to lose both.
Lesson#2
Don't lend money to family unless you want every family gathering to be completely uncomfortable.

O well, live and learn.

At least you get money back on your returns =D>

Latest posts