Fuel tanks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrispbrown27

Reaction score
My boat came with the original metallic 6 gal. OMC fuel tank, but the fittings are so worn it leaks badly and the repair kit costs more than the cost to replace one. The problem is that I am having trouble finding one that will fit behind the rear seat. I have looked at Moeller and Attwood and tried Scepter, they either are too long or they have molded handles that stick out making it impossible to fit. I could easily step down to a 3 gallon tank and usually never run anywhere near 6 gallons of fuel on one trip, but I would rather stick with the 6 gallon so I don't ever have to worry about it. I have thought about buying a second tank to carry as a backup but that will take up room and would rather avoid that. Sitting one in the center isn't really an option either because the plug is there and my leg is typically there. Anyone have any suggestions? If anyone is curious the measurements are 19.25" from seat to transom and 13.75" from side to transom brace.
Chris

I have been using a 3 gallon tank for years and like the small size of it. If I'm concerned about running out I carry an extra gallon in a small gas can.

Have you looked into getting one made? Probably be a little pricey but it would be an exact fit

If you can't find one that fits I'd go ahead and rebuild the old tank.

Beware of running gas with ethonol in an old gas tank. Any varnish in it could get cleaned out by the ethonol which leads to problems.

I've got the same problem Chris. The tank is too long to fit and won't sit level. Ended up putting a couple of 10 in long 2''X8'' under it to raise it up to get it to sit level, not a good solution but it works.
Sometimes when the fish aren't biting I'll go exploring, so I'd much rather carry a 6 gal tank as opposed to a 3 gal.

muskiemike12 said:
I have been using a 3 gallon tank for years and like the small size of it. If I'm concerned about running out I carry an extra gallon in a small gas can.

i also carry a 3 gal as a spare. puts me at ease

Latest posts