'63 Evinrude sportwin 10hp question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nowakezone

Reaction score
I want to replace the lower unit seals on my outboard. Do they make a seal kit or do I have to buy the seals individually? Any suggestions on the best way to replace the seals? I've never worked on a lower unit before.

Why do you want to replace those seals?

Have you changed oil and waited a while then drained the oil looking for water?
Those little motors never need that kind of maint unless there has been a Humanoid Wrecking machine at the controls.

Well, the motor sat in a basement for about 15 years until I found it last spring. I went through and rebuilt the carb, replaced the coils, plugs and wires etc.. It runs like a champ but when I get off the water and garage it there is always a puddle of greenish looking sludge under it after it sits. I just assumed there was water getting somewhere. I e changed the lower unit oil once before and it was full so I don't think it's losing oil.. I don't know I guess, I was going to replace the impeller so I figured I might re seal it also. Any thoughts?

Sounds to me like it might be draining a little of the oil buildup from the exhaust which is not uncommon. If the oil in the lower unit stays full and doesn't turn milky brown, I'd leave the seals alone and just replace the impeller. Are you sure you're running the right oil/gas ratio and not running it a little heavy on oil?

Yes, those old motors were messy.
Another thing to check. Just check.
Drain the oil out of the lower unit, looking for water.
There's a seal on the shaft just above the drive gears. IF that's leaking you get Oil pushed up into the shaft area, and water in the gear box.

If you don't get any water, JMichael has the right answer.

PS: Arch environment activists hate those old two-hose OMC's for that very reason.
I loved our old 55 Johnson 10 Hp. Such a nicely mannered, quiet little motor.
Lost it in Puget sound when it came off the transom while we were running for home.