converting a 20 hp mariner from stick to tiller?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoosier78

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, Been lurking here for awhile. Lots of good info and knowledgable members here. I hope someone can help me. I bought a 85 20 hp mariner that has stick steering controls with it. I really wanted a tiller steer but this motor is in excellent shape in like new shape so i bought it. The problem is the steer control cable is froze and it looks like i will have to replace it in order to use the stick steer. What am I getting myself into if I decide to convert to a tiller, Or what would i need to go back to stick? Thanks in advance.

I converted 20hp Merc from remote steer to tiller steer last spring. Lucky for you, you won't have to go through as much as I did work wise since yours appears to be accessible without removing the power head. Here is a link to a parts diagram for the tiller for your motor.
https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/274_140.cfm
You can compare it to your motor to see what parts are missing and what you will need to put it back in working order. Next you'll need to come up with all the parts. I got lucky there and found a complete assembly for mine on ebay for less than $30. Hopefully you can do the same. You'll also want to look at the throttle and shift setup, and make sure nothing is missing or changed that would require more parts in that area. https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/274_50.cfm

My brother bought one new back in the mid to late 80's that always ran good and had good power. One of his duck hunting buddies also bought one and that one belongs to a good friend of mine now and it's still running good. Those are the only 2 I have personal knowledge of really.

I have a 1983 25 hp Mariner. The smaller early '80's motor are actually made by Yamaha.

Latest posts