fuel tank and start up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uthnkunome27

Reaction score
I have a mid 70s 9.9 evinrude. I could pull and pull on that thing and it wouldn't start until i barely got a little starting fluid in there and she would fire right up and run like a charm. I could shut it off and it would start back up fine. If it sat for an hour or so it wouldn't start back up until starting fluid got in there. Wool i went and bought a new fuel hose and primer package and a new gas tank and it works fine. Wonder what caused that to happen.
Also, my new tank does not have a vented cap like the old one. I checked it yesterday and it was swollen up from not being able to relieve pressure. Do i need another cap or is it fine to leave it like that. Why would they not supply a cap that could be vented if need be?

You have a Single hose system which pulls gas from the tank. So your discard had a problem pulling air (probably)

To be honest, I don't know how the new pumps work. They must let some air back into the tank as they take fuel out.
So your lid must be tight, I just don't know why.
PS: Your old tank is fixable, but the newer HDPE tanks are better.

The tank has to be vented in some way or a vacuum will build up and it won't be long before the fuel pump can't overcome the force of the vacuum and your motor is going to die.

The tank is vented only when the hose is plugged into it. Not sure if the hose has to be plugged into the motor also but they may be.
Tim

Starting fluid in a 2 stroke no matter how little is a slow death for a 2 stroke. [-X [-o<

Give it a shot of pre mix =D>

crazymanme2 said:
Starting fluid in a 2 stroke no matter how little is a slow death for a 2 stroke. [-X [-o<

Give it a shot of pre mix =D>

X2

Never use anything that does not provide oil!

well the days of the starting fluid is over. I may have done it a total of 6 times which is 6 times too many. That is the weirdest thing ive ever seen i think. I wouldnt even have to hold the can to the air inlet hole. I could just do the slightest bump at a 90* angle from the opening and i guess enough fumes or vapors or something got in there and it would fire right up. Since the fuel line and tank swap i havnt had the first issue. It runs and starts like a 2012 model. I wished i would have tried the line and tank thing before subjecting the motor to even that small bit of vapors.

The tank still boggles my mind. I guess i can swap caps from my old tank to relieve the pressure.

You can see how the tank looks swollen up. I took the cap off and all the pressure went out of it. I looked on the underside of the cap and there is a little white ball valve thing in there and i can press it with my finger and it goes in and comes back out. It just isnt relieving the pressure for some reason. you can also see the wetness around the black thing that my hose is hooked to. not sure what that is but i would guess it has something to do with the pressure building up in there.

2013-01-23_15-42-43_459.jpg