1966 Fastwin, 18HP..........little troubleshooting help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
ok, let me recap a little bit of things that I have noticed/done this past fishing season.

I am sorry up front for the lack of "terms"

This past season, I was boating around in my 14' jon boat and all of a sudden, the boat stopped moving and the motor made a bogging down noise. I was able to move at a very slow speed (no wake zone speeds) without a problem. Once I opened up the throttle, it would speed up, then bog down. After trouble shooting this, we came to the conclusion that the prop needed replaced cause it was "slipping".

So i ordered the prop from Propco. Installed it, and all was well. Took it out a couple times after and it ran like a champ. I was back to living the dream :mrgreen: .

The next time out, i was not so lucky. I opened the throttle again, and the same bogging down instance happened again. This is where I need help. I have no problems getting my hands dirty with this again, but I'd like to try and fix this with some help from other members on here. Hopefully with enough posts/responses, We can narrow the problem down. One other thing, the boat never stalled or never had problems starting. It was just the accelerating problem

I do have a parts catalog of the motor, as well as a SELOC outboard repair manual.

What could possibly be causing this bog down to where I lose all acceleration? What can I check or test???

Please help........

Although I cannot get this out on the water till spring....I do have a water drum that I can use to get it running and make repairs as needed.

If it were me, I think I'd start by cleaning the carb. With the limited info and not hearing/seeing what it's doing in person, it can be difficult to diagnose.

not sure if this matters or not......but the carb was rebuilt this past fishing season.

I am also getting input from other sources that I need to get an inline spark tester to test the cylinders. That's an easy test.......so i will do that.

Once I get this motor in water and running, I will post a video so you can hear/see whats going on.

A video would probably be helpful if you can reproduce the bogging effect. The reason I say clean the carb, is because from your description, the bogging seems to come and go. This can be caused by trash in the float bowl that clogs a jet when it moves around.

so lets say i test these plugs and everything checks out OK........do I need to take off the carb completely to clean it? what if there is junk through out the motor that will work its way in to the carb? how do i flush everything out?

I have NO clue how the prior owners took care of the motor. I can only hope that they took care of it really well

It sounds like you could gain a lot by watching some carb cleaning videos on youtube. I don't have first hand knowledge of that model motor but I've never seen an outboard to date that didn't require the carb to be removed in order to remove the float bowl. There may be some out there, I've just never seen one. And it wouldn't hurt to clean the jets while your at it.

Latest posts