Points adjustment

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

17ft'r

Reaction score
I am having trouble (adjusting) the points on a 63' 18 hp Johnson.
The "seloc" manual tells of tightening down (once the points are where you want them) "base" screw, It seems this "adjusting screw functions so it (moves the points), and as I'm seeing it, the screw is not designed to tighten, but thats not what I am hearing out there.

So what I have been doing is w/rachet and (nut) on the shaft, rotating till each point is riding on the (high side) of the cam, then once satified with the .020" I try to tighten first the base screw and recheck and then the adjustment screw and recheck .................and the gap is wrong.

Can somebody walk me through this as it is the last thing before I "Yank & Crank" the motor.

Thanks,

17ft'r

Only tighten the base screw tight once you have the points adjusted to the .020 using the adjustment screw. So, rotate cam until the highest point and the points are fully open( it will usually say "top" or "set" in this area).Now snug up the base screw but not to much so the adjustment screw won`t move the points. Using the adjustment screw adjust to .020" using your feeler gage. Hold the screwdriver in the adjustment screw slot tight and use another driver to fully tighten the base screw.
It might move a bit so just keep doing it until your satisfied there very close to each other. Once its set, get some electrical contact cleaner and spray the point faces to ensure there clean.
There is another way to set the points using an ohm meter but for now just use the feeler gage method.

Latest posts