replace my starter?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVAN_COCHRAN

Reaction score
I have a late 70s or early 80's johnson 28 hp special the starter will not come up to engage. Im thinking i just grew to week and was wondering how or if i can just change the brushes? I am do not know but about outboards b ut can usually tell what im looking at. please let me know thanks.

My Grandpa had a 30 horse evinrude that the bendex would stick on. I would just hit it with wd40 from time to time. The grease would be a better long term fix, but might not be a bad idea to stick a can of wd40 in the boat.
Chris

Look around in the yellow pages for a shop that rebuilds them they can be rebuilt very very cheap.

Brushes are readily available for that starter. There is also a special bendix lube for it.
Several different causes for the condition you are describing.....from a weak battery to poor connections between cables and block, connections on the cables themselves, etc. Worn brushes will escape from the internal holders as well and decrease the power of the starter.