2005 johnson 90hp 2 stroke?????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seaswirl

Reaction score
ok, guys,i just put this motor on my boat,and me and the wife went down to the ramp today and put the boat in the water, i let it run for a bit and once it warmed up it was idleing just under 1000rpm, so we then made sure everything shifted good which it did, and slowly started accelerating, she got up on plane no problem, once i was sure everything was running good, no lights,alarms or anything i wanted to see what it had, at 5000rpm, it was wide open, doing approx. 32 mph (GPS) the water was glass today, does this sound right?? i never had a 90hp before and i just thought it would be faster?? i dont want a speed boat or anything, im just curious?? the dry Lbs of this boat according to the original paperwork is 1125lbs its a 19ft grumman lake boat Vhull, here is a picture sitting at the dock. i have a stilletto stainless prop on it, and wasnt sure if it was propped right?? any info would be helpful. thanks0129131140.jpg

No help with your question other than I just picked up today what looks like the same boat but 16 foot model with a 70hp and the owner said when running right he was getting around 38 mph.......true or not don't know.

That sounds about right. I have Johnson 2005 115 4- stroke and my boat weighs about 1400. It goes in the upper 30s, unless I go over the recommended rpm' s, then I can go 41. Several things can influence speed like trim or the prop itself. I do know someone with the same boat I have with a 135 optimax and they can hit just over 50.

yes i did play with the trim it helped a little, the motor also has a hydrofoil on it?? it has a stillietto prop and the # on the 1 side were 21317 and on the other was 01317 so im assuming its a 13/17 prop??

That looks like alot of boat for a 90hp motor. What is the max hp listed on the capacity plate? You might be over proped also. If you drop 2" in pitch it will increase your rpm's by 400 or so. That should help your boat perform better.

the boat is maxxed out at 120hp?? it had a 50hp on it, and barely got up on plane, i just bought this motor for a good price and i just want it to perform well.

Try a 15" pitch prop on it. It might not increase your speed by much, but you will get on plane faster and your motor will be happier. You can also look at getting a 14" pitch 4 blade prop. You will be able to keep your boat on plane at lower rpm's and save fuel. It probably won't give you any better top end speed though.

That boat looks like it could take a 150 with no problem, but you have to go by what the plate reads.

yeah the boat is a good size lake boat, its built solid. its an older boat i bought for cheap, its a 1993. it needed alot of cleaning when i got it, im satisfied with its speed i just want to make sure its running how it should.

No not normal! Please send it to my address for a thorough test, may take several years! ;) good looking rig!

thanks guys, yeah this boat sat for a few years after being winterized, i paid $1000 for the boat motor and trailer, the trailer is almost brand new, i sold the original 1993 johnson 50hp for $800, and found this 2005 johnson 90 in NC and drove to pick it up, its gonna be a great motor. the boat still needs a little tlc, but its getting there, i put new steering system,lights controls. i still have to get rid of some of the old wireing that was under the dash from the old motor and gauges. but thats for all the info.