63' 18 hp Johnson "exhaust port(s)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

17ft'r

Reaction score
I have (started) up after 7 to 12 yrs of shed time this engine.
I have (so far) relubed the (lower end),
New (water pump) & seals,
New coils. Points looked good and took a chance on the condensers.

I fired up the engine and she responded (great) and there was noticable (clods) of dirts, dirt with oil, you name it floating around after (circulation).

I noticed the (exhaust port) spewing water along with the exhaust, which is fine, however after a few more (stop/starts I noticed there apeared to be (no more) water coming out the exhaust port.

I think there is a clog somewhere, but my question (other than) do you agree with a (possible clog) is (how much or little water will you expect to see with this engines exhaust? I've heard (alot) to (alittle) is normal.

If it is a clog, what is the best way to clear it?

Other than this water issue I was very pleased how she ran after that many years.

Thanks for any answers,

17ft'r

There should be a ton of water coming out of the exhaust relief on that engine. Really not much of a way to "clog" it up.
Where were you running it? That may have more to do with it than anything else. If running in a barrel you may have been sloshing water out of the barrel and dropped the water level below where the pump can pick up water.
Raise the water level above the lower mount clamshells on the lower part of the exhaust housing and re start. Tell us if this worked.

Latest posts