???20 hp johnson???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldFloater

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what year this motor may be. And if 300 dollars is a good price for it if it runs. it is electric start and cable steering.

Attachments

• 20 hp johnson.jpg
    20 hp johnson.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 442
  • 20hp john.jpg
    20hp john.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 442
I have not got the model number back yet for the 20hp yet. Although I did talk him down to 225.
But I also have a 9.9 evinrude that came with my boat. its modle number is E10RLCOM. I do not know the year for this motor either. But it runs great!

The engine you are looking at is not a 20hp.
It will be a 25 - 30 - or 35hp engine from the years 1955 to 1958.
The model tag is not on the transom clamp on this engine either. It is located on the front of the engine below the steering bar, where the tilt release is located.
They are great engines if you are mechanically inclined. Once properly brought back into service they will run until you hand them down to the next generation.

Wow thank you. He still has not gotten back to me with the modle number. But I got him down to 225.00 for the engine. Do you think that that is a good deal Pappy? And I am mechanically inclined. I would go crazy if i didn't have something to tinker with. :D

Really, yes the paint job is a little bad. And i don't even know if it actually runs. He just says that he thinks it runs and hasn't found me the model number yet. I really didn't want to pay that much for it either. Thanks

Pappy said:
They are great engines if you are mechanically inclined. Once properly brought back into service they will run until you hand them down to the next generation.

Make sure he has the gas tank also. You will pay a good penny for one if not. That motor uses the double hose pressurized tank.

Seller thinks it's a 20 it might be an 18

Does it come with the 2 line fuel tank? If not the tank alone can run $100.00. The motor can be converted to a single line for about $100.00.

Yes it comes with the fuel tank and lines. But he sent me a picture and it looks like it has been setting hooked up to the motor with gas in the lines. And he also said that the last time it was started was three years ago. He definately has not taken very good care of it.

Definitely not an 18. Too large a cowling. Actually looking at it the price may be a little higher. It has the wire harness and junction box as well. Nice to have and pricey to find. Also I read it has the tank with it. Also good to find. Ask the owner what fuel oil ratio he ran it on. Do not ask if he ran it on 24:1 as he will just agree. Make him tell you.

Well he said he would have to check his notes, but he was pretty sure he used 5:2 on the ratio.???? ](*,)

I just love it when sellers do not know what they are selling :lol: As stated above that is not a 20hp. The 20 didn't appear until the mid to late 60's I believe and that motor is not a 60's motor. And as pappy eluded to it is to big to be an 18hp. If I were to take an educated guess it is either a 56' 30hp or a 57' 35hp and at $300 bucks your not stealing this motor by no means. Don't expect to get the money back out of it...especially after you spend another $300-400 to get her in good running order.

But on the other hand...I just did $1187.00 worth of work to a 1957 Johnson Golden Javelin (35hp) for a customer. He didn't bat an eye. He has an extremely reliable 35hp engine now for a fraction of the price of a new one......and this one has class!

Latest posts