Repowering an old lund

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pweisbrod

Reaction score
I have a 18' 79 Lund Mr Pike that I just recently acquired for a big water duck boat, it has a 77 johnson 85hp on the back. To be honest, I just don't have a ton of faith in older outboards. I know some of you have been using yours since before I was born, but I just don't feel that I have the mechanical know-how to make sure that I get this thing running well enough to keep me alive come november 29th when I'm duck hunting in 8 degree weather on big lakes.

If someone is from around the cities area and knows a really, really cheap and good mechanic, or is a good mechanic that works for coca-cola and sandwiches, that may change the situation, but otherwise...

A decent estimate of worth on the 77 johnson? it's not in perfect condition by any means. I can clean it up to make it look better for sale. I was thinking around 800-1000? the controls all work, I don't know a ton about it, but that goes with the territory I suppose.

a good option for repower? I would love to get a 90 horse E-tec, but that just won't be in the budget for many moons. Probably never, as I have a 9 month old and we're already thinking about number 2!

I need to find something easy starting in the cold and reliable. I might just have to bite the bullet and buy something on a loan to make sure I don't get stranded in the middle of a lake on a consistent basis. I had a 59 outboard that got me stuck in terrifying situations more than once on a previous boat.

sorry about the novel! thanks for any replies. I could really use the help. I know I have a lot of time before there's even any open water in which to use the boat, but I would like to have a good head start on it come spring.

The small bore 85hp engines were absolutely bulletproof engines. If yours has compression and spark and a good gearcase and it has had relatively good care taken of it I would run it from now on. Great bottom end power, good idle characteristics and power up to around 4500-5000rpm were the typical characteristics of it. They were about the only engines that couldn't be killed by the test drivers at the OMC test station, in Stuart, Florida. Those engines were run WOT on test boats for 500 hours, disassembled, measured for wear and reassembled and run again until replaced.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. Due to funding i think i am going to keep the 77, and get it running top notch. Is there a list of things I should go through on the engine? Carbs etc? I'm mechanically inclined, just inexperienced. - good manual? Best place to get said manual?

Paul,
ebay is a good source for finding a OMC factory service manual at a reasonable price.
I sent you a PM.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-Johnson-1977-Service-Manual-85HP-115HP-EL77-and-ETL77-/121060769211?pt=Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item1c2fc8bdbb&vxp=mtr

jasper

I've learned the hard way that being mechanically inclined is not a replacement for actual experience working on outboards.

Its true that older outboards are pretty simple and parts aren't too hard to get. But, getting the right parts installed and tuned properly to have a 100% reliable engine (that is 35 years old) is not an easy task. Its certainly doable, but its a big big task.

If you are going to be out on big rough water in very cold weather .... and need 100% reliability from your engine to stay safe .... and you've never worked on old motors before .... then I highly recommend biting the bullet and having a trained mechanic service the motor fully.

You have a good motor. There is no need to take out a $5k loan on a new one. I imagine that for somewhere between $500 and $700 a good mechanic could get your engine in tip top shape.

Be careful spending too much on an old motor unless you really like it....

IMG_0138.JPG

I spent almost $800 to rebuild a 1966 Merc 500 that I could have replaced for less.
It wouldn't have kept the look I was going for on that particular boat, but it probably would have been a better choice to replace it with a more updated model.

jasper60103 said:
FishNutz,
those black girls look sweet!!!

Thanks jasper -

This was my last build / rebuild.

It's a 1966 Plywood sled...Completely redone bow to stern, top to bottom....2 years and a few thousand dollars that I'll never get back, but it was still fun :)

IMG_0127.JPG

I'd post a build link, but this is a TIN Boat site :-

I still think I should have spent the money on a newer motor or raised the transom and used a pump on the 50HP.
I still have it.....For now.

FishNutz,
that's an interesting looking rig you got there. You should create a thread.
I'm sure others would be interested in seeing your plywood build as well.

edit: A wood boat would be a nice addition to the forum. I think are even a couple fiberglass and plastic boat mods listed here.

jasper

I only go newer when necessary... My 77 mercury 7.5 Tiller ran ok but the wiring was crumbling and the carb needed work so I cut my losses. You just get that gut feeling sometimes. I would have no problem spending say $800 or so to get yours in top shape but its not my money

Latest posts