1950s Johnson 10 hp O/B questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acwd

Reaction score
I know there are some members here that have some old Johnsons. Any problems should i be looking for besides the basics? The guy wants 100 dollars for it. I have found that there is many new parts available for it(water pump impeller, carb kits, coils,etc). Dont know if its been converted to a single line fuel tank. Dont look like thats too hard to do. Anyone done this conversion?

Thanks
Steve

There is absolutely zero need to convert it over to a single line tank. The pressurized system is virtually bulletproof in design. All parts to rebuild that tank are also available. Almost zero failures compared to a "modern" fuel pump.
The engine must be run on 24:1 fuel/oil mixture. Do not listen to Billy Bob or Bubba, the local mechanics. The engine is a plain bearing engine and needs the additional lubrication by design, even with the present day oils.
To properly put one back into service the ignition, fuel system, and cooling/gearcase all must be looked at and taken care of as necessary. The impeller and gearcase seals are all over 50 years old and not to be trusted if used.

Thanks Pappy, the reason on the conversion question is because he dont have a tank for it. The guy said its been sitting in garage for a few years. I was planning on changing coils, points and condensers plugs and water pump impeller probably a carb kit. Wasnt sure on oil/gas mixture because I read conflicting information on that seen 24:1 and 16:1.

Thanks
Steve

I know you have not seen it run, but have you checked the compression on the motor or just pulled the starting rope? If it is real easy then it has low compression, if it takes a strong pull, then it has good compression. If it only looks good then offer him $50 and take home as a collecter.

Well I picked it up last night. Talked to the guy about it for a bit and found this much out. He had it rebuilt few years ago (never said how long ago)and it does have real good compression just by pulling the rope, havent put the gauge on it. He said he hadnt used it in the last 5 or 6 years because he lost his drivers license and sold his boat. He said he kept the motor because he thought it was a cool looking motor. So now I have another project lol! Is there any difference between the Sierra, Mallory or CDI coils besides the prices? One of them have a hotter spark than the other?

Steve

Your question on coils can be better answered by visiting www.aomci.org and going to the ask a member forum in there.
I use only OEM coils on my vintage fleet unless they come with one of the aftermarket coils already installed. I do know that from time to time the aftermarket points have had alignment problems as that has been discussed in there more than a time or two.

Thanks Pappy, I got to look at her closer yesterday and tinker with her a bit. The coils dont look that old, cleaned the points and got fire. Will need plugs and wires for sure. Think I will wait on the coils and points for the time being.Just want to get her running and see what I have got. I did put a little gas in the cylinders and she did hit. I do know that the gears on the tiller handle will need some work because the slip. They look like they are brass? So i can build them up and dremel and file back into shape.

Steve

i have a 54 and she runs great. the lower unit will need to be resealed, and its not really that hard. i only found two sites that had a set, about 42 shipped.
i replaced the coils, points, condensers, wires, plugs, carb kit, resealed lower, new impeller. and it runs really sweet. took it apart and it seems the motor was a low hour motor.
dino

Latest posts