Powering 72 Alumacraft F7 - 1995 Mercury 25 HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gholmes

Reaction score
Just got my hands on an Alumacraft F7 from 72. It is rated for 24 HP.
Two questions:
Is a 25 HP too much power considering the 24 HP rating (practically speaking, I realize the obvious technical faux pas)
I am considering buying a 1995 Mercury tiller short shaft, 25 HP 2 stroke. The seller is asking $1195. Is that a good motor & a good price?

You are probably the best person to answer that question. There is some liability involved in answering it anyway. What you have to remember is that in 1972 engines were powerhead or crankshaft rated. By 1995 engines were rated at the prop. The engine you are looking at is a popular engine.
If it were me, I would look at the transom integrity and whether or not it needed new wood, the load I plan on carrying and where that load will be placed, and how fast I want to get that load to where I want to go. Nobody knows your level of experience or capabilities here.
Am sure a Doom and Gloomer will offer that you can be checked and written up for being overpowered. In all my years of boating and being involved in the industry I know of no one that has ever been checked or written up for that.

Pappy, thanks for the reply. I did purchase the subject outboard. Logic being that 1HP over the rating isn't likely to be detrimental. I'll keep my fingers crossed and my negotiating skills sharp if I get questioned on the 24HP rating with that motor hanging off the back. The hull doesn't have a capacity tag on it, I learned the specs by contacting Alumacraft directly. Not sure if I need to rectify that before putting it on the water, but I'll check on it.

I'm replacing the transom wood anyhow, so it will be in good shape when I'm done (it's currently in OK shape, but new wood is cheap insurance). It currently has Oak on the inside and plywood on the outside. Neither appear to have been sealed when they were installed, so they need to go. I'm considering Mahogany or Teak, though I've read that some folks have used plywood successfully when properly sealed. Any thoughts on that?

I'm relatively new to small boats with outboards. My primary experiences have been on a 24' Grady White that had a 350/Volvo Penta inboard/outboard and with high-powered bass boats.

Latest posts