18 hp Johnson carb rebuild

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

17ft'r

Reaction score
Hi all, I am down to rebuilding (w/kit) the carb.. In the picture I am pointing to one of the orfices. I took out all the packing and boiled in asetone(sp), and it seems you can still see some (resudue) down at the bottom where the threads stop.
I have used everthing but a (jackhammer) with no luck in removing (what I now think) is a (stain).
I inserted a (wire) brush and it is just not going away. I am beginning to think there is nothing there.

Any thoughts out there will be appreciated,

Thanks,

17ft'r

Attachments

• PICT0930.JPG
    PICT0930.JPG
    220.7 KB · Views: 217
Hopefully you disassembled past where I see the carburetor at this point. If not then all it looks like you did was remove the low speed needle, drop the bowl and pull the float?
The "residue" you are looking at is a fiber packing which should have been removed prior to soaking the carburetor. That has to be removed mechanically usually.
In an OEM kit you will have at least two fiber packing washers and a nylon one to replace it with. If you went aftermarket on the kit you may or may not have the right parts to replace with.

Thanks for you fast responce. I have indeed tore down the carb all the way and have resuplied the carb with Johnson outboard carb re-build kit.
My mistake looks like I did not get all the (packing) out prior to boiling the carb.. I have since then taken a (wire) brush and removed the remainder of the packing blew it out with (pressured) air and re-cleaned for stuborn particles.

Thanks again,

17ft'r

Latest posts