Head Gasket replacement?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
I have a 1999 evinrude 5hp 4 stroke that has been giving me much trouble. It runs great but after running at high rpm's for a few minutes it will loose power, drop to idle, start smoking and leak oil from the midsection into the water. I cant seem to figure out the problem. I have it winterized, but once it warms up a bit, I will drain the oil, and begin to take apart the power head. I think it needs a head gasket replacement and maybe a crank oil seal replacement. Any opinions?

PBRMINER said:
Worth fixing it and doing it right. take it you bought it used?
Yes, I bought it last May. It was in great condition when I bought it but the oil problem started right away once I ran it strong

Is the oil level ok? I mean..not full but between the marks?

Couple things about 4 stroke engines, specifically outboards. They will "make" oil...if idled a lot. Meaning the oil level rises after a while. Mine takes about 5-6 trips to the river where it's mostly idle speed only (shallow) for about 3/4 mile...probably 25 minutes of 800-1400 RPM. If I fill it to the middle between "low" and "high", after a few trips to the river it'll be over the full mark, which is about 1/2 quart give or take. Unburned fuel vapors from the combustion process due to normal blow-by build up in the crankcase and dilutes the oil a little. After while a little turns into a lot. Never smells like fuel either. I just change it about every 10 hours use. Usually drain a little less than 3 quarts out and refill it with 2. (Yamaha 25 4 stroke).

couple times I let it go longer and it would puke the excess oil into the intake through the crankcase vent hose, which causes smoking and what doesn't get sucked in goes into the lower pan, then drains all over the leg. Thought something horrible was wrong until the service guys at the local dealership were speaking with the regional service rep about an F250 (4 stroke 250 hp) doing the same thing. It's normal. Throttle it up once in a while or change the oil more often is what I was told.

turbotodd said:
Is the oil level ok? I mean..not full but between the marks?

Couple things about 4 stroke engines, specifically outboards. They will "make" oil...if idled a lot. Meaning the oil level rises after a while. Mine takes about 5-6 trips to the river where it's mostly idle speed only (shallow) for about 3/4 mile...probably 25 minutes of 800-1400 RPM. If I fill it to the middle between "low" and "high", after a few trips to the river it'll be over the full mark, which is about 1/2 quart give or take. Unburned fuel vapors from the combustion process due to normal blow-by build up in the crankcase and dilutes the oil a little. After while a little turns into a lot. Never smells like fuel either. I just change it about every 10 hours use. Usually drain a little less than 3 quarts out and refill it with 2. (Yamaha 25 4 stroke).

couple times I let it go longer and it would puke the excess oil into the intake through the crankcase vent hose, which causes smoking and what doesn't get sucked in goes into the lower pan, then drains all over the leg. Thought something horrible was wrong until the service guys at the local dealership were speaking with the regional service rep about an F250 (4 stroke 250 hp) doing the same thing. It's normal. Throttle it up once in a while or change the oil more often is what I was told.
Thanks for the advice. I have head many stories about engines "making oil" and after my motor started leaking oil for the first time, I changed the oil and kept it a little lower on the dip stick than before. When you experienced your engine leaking oil from the pan onto the leg (when it began smoking) did you loose power? I would assume it is normal to loose power when oil is pushed through the intake (just like it looses power when you fog the engine for winterization). Thanks alot for the info, I'm glad I found someone with a similar problem!

basstender10.6 said:
When you experienced your engine leaking oil from the pan onto the leg (when it began smoking) did you loose power? I would assume it is normal to loose power when oil is pushed through the intake

Yes-a huge power loss.

Latest posts