Slower prop for trolling

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

got2fishsd

Reaction score
I have a 15' Gregor with a 2002 merc 15 hp 4 stroke. Right now with the stock prop the slowest I can troll is 2.8 mph. The prop is labeled 8.9x9 inside the hub.

I think my best option would be to change out the prop to slow me down. I don't want to drag a sock or bucket. My three year old fishing partner has a hard enough time without more stuff hanging in the water.

Looking at the 4 blade 7" what do you guys think.

Thanks

pitch. https://boatpropellers.iboats.com/Mercury/15_HP_(1999-2006)_7.00-Pitch_Propellers/881/?cart_id=714710669

Why not install a variable speed electric trolling motor and battery. A lower pitch prop is most likely to cause you to over rev the outboard when doing any other kind of actual running and considering the price of props you wouldn't be out much difference in $$$. A good battery will troll all day and then some with less spooking of fish.

I did think about that. I want to keep the clutter and accessories to a minimum. Alot of the lakes I fish are 5mph. If I am going to fish the salt I only have to change the prop (one nut). Just wondering if changing the prop will slow me down where I need to be?

In theroy,instead of going 9"s you will be going 7"s per revolution.
What that relates to in mph is over my head and I don't fel like googling right now.
I think the biggest problem would be if you ran the motor at WOT,you don't want to over rev.(high rpm)
You can buy alittle tach to make sure you stay in the recommended rpms.

Another option is drift socks,even a 5 gal pail...the prop you have right now might even work.

Do you think you could turn your idle down without stalling?

This would work better than a prop

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Outboards-Accessories/Trolling-Plates-Stabilizers%7C/pc/104794380/c/104752980/sc/104655780/The-Happy-Troller-Fixed-Position-Trolling-Plate/737471.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boating-outboards-accessories-trolling-plates-stabilizers%2F_%2FN-1100537&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104655780

I have one of these on my Honda 25 and can troll down to .5 mph.
I also modded it so it has a 45 deg setting. It trolls right around 1.2mph at that setting.

krawler said:
This would work better than a prop

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Boating-Outboards-Accessories/Trolling-Plates-Stabilizers%7C/pc/104794380/c/104752980/sc/104655780/The-Happy-Troller-Fixed-Position-Trolling-Plate/737471.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-boating-outboards-accessories-trolling-plates-stabilizers%2F_%2FN-1100537&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104655780

I have one of these on my Honda 25 and can troll down to .5 mph.
I also modded it so it has a 45 deg setting. It trolls right around 1.2mph at that setting.
OP here is your answer!!!!

Latest posts