Mid 80's 25hp Evinrude

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Action762

Reaction score
Hey guys I just wanted an opinion on a 12 foot modified Aero Craft with a 25hp Evinrude. My sister has it, the motor, and her and her husband used it for their 16' but they no longer need it and want to give it to me. It runs great and all of that... meaning nothing is broke or in need of repair. I just want to make sure it is not overkill for the boat size. :lol: Thanks...

HAHA thanks RamRod!! I figured this would be a good one. I am new to the modifying work though so I will be in need of some answers and I am also glad I found this site... Its a good one!

Thats great JMichael... Very encouraging!!! Also I see that 20hp on your mod so I know the extra 5hp wont make much difference. Im starting to think it was a stupid question #-o

My boat is 3 feet longer than yours and it's only got a 20. Hint Hint :wink: And I'm not saying you can't do it. But it might be exciting and fun to watch. :lol: Alot of that will also depend on what the boat is rated for (don't want to overload the transom) and how much additional weight is going to be in the boat and how it's balanced out. There's a bit of a discussion going on in another thread right now about what would happen with a 35hp 4 stroke on a 14 foot boat.

A few years ago, while working on my tin I put my 25 nissan on my budies 12 foot flat. We used it a few times and all I can say is WOW. That thing would really fly. It was a bare hull, no floor,no deck, no weight :lol: It was a riot,If you do it just be carefull, and sane about it. Yes it can get dangerous so be safe.

Thats a riot guys... well maybe since she is "giving" it to me I will keep it for when I get a larger boat like the 16' I have been lusting over. Thanks Mike and Johnny for the heads up and the advice. I am a, for lack of a better word, a bit "wreckless" sometimes but I also dont like pain and if I pay for something out of my own pocket..... I take care of it. Kind of one of those things my ol man taught me when I was young. I grew up on 44 acres of woods with a large pond on the back so a country boy I was... stiches... casts... you know. Like my mother always said, boys will be boys :lol: If you guys check this out this is the thread to my boat. Nothing much yet but a good friend of mine has a 5.5 Johnson I might just take off of his hands now that I got some good advice from yall.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29261

I quote from Tombstone: "Your a daisy if you do." Or is it pushing up daisys if you do?

Tthere is also a post on this forum that might help. I checked mine, a 14' X 4' and my factor was 56 56 x .5 = 23 round up to 25. My max hp rateing hp is 25. Indicated on plate from factory.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12144

Sounds like a good deal to me. After all....the engine does have a throttle and you control that part!
Find the boat that fits it later on.
Have never owned a boat that has not been overpowered. Ever. By no means do I recommend that.....just sayin'
We went your route years ago when we hunted Okeechobee for ducks. Of course we were also above gross weight and the engine was a 35hp.
But......nail the throttle and we got through the hydrilla and peppergrass like it wasnt even there.

You Know, you just don't hear people say "gees, I wish that I had a smaller motor"

or

"I need to make my boat more under powered".

Action762 said:
Oh by the way Johnny NICE bass!!! Im yet to catch one over 2 and a half... soon [-o< lol
Thanks action762 catch a few like that every year up here in the Mississippi River, If you are ever up this way look me up.

krawler said:
You Know, you just don't hear people say "gees, I wish that I had a smaller motor"
Not to rain on your parade, but you are mistaken there. I've got a buddy with a 15' Lowes and a 25hp Mariner. He's very anxious to find a smaller motor because neither he nor his wife want a motor that big. He'd rather have a 9.9 or 15 like the one it came with but if I can get this 8hp Merc repaired before spring, he and I are going to do some trading and I'll have that Mariner on my boat. :mrgreen:

JMichael said:
krawler said:
Not to rain on your parade, but you are mistaken there. I've got a buddy with a 15' Lowes and a 25hp Mariner. He's very anxious to find a smaller motor because neither he nor his wife want a motor that big. He'd rather have a 9.9 or 15 like the one it came with but if I can get this 8hp Merc repaired before spring, he and I are going to do some trading and I'll have that Mariner on my boat. :mrgreen:

Yeah just wait until he slaps that 8hp on there and boat wont even plane..... he will be screaming for that 25 back :lol:

To the original post...... there are 12' boats that can handle 25's without a problem. The motor you are speaking of is far lighter than the 25's of today......roughly 127lbs + or - a couple depending on model. I run a 30hp on my 14' and it is fun as hell and I have never had a problem. Common sense goes along way though......would I let a 12yr old run my boat, not a chance. If you have moderate boating skills a few extra HP isn't a big deal.

Johny25 said:
Yeah just wait until he slaps that 8hp on there and boat wont even plane..... he will be screaming for that 25 back :lol:
This is one of those "you'd have to know the guy" to understand but even with the original 15 and the current 25, he doesn't push it hard enough to get it to plane. As long as he can make 10-12mph he's content. LoL

Getting a good condition older motor for free is AWESOME! Definitely take it.

My opinion is that there is no good reason to overpower a boat ..... so get a bigger boat :wink: :wink:

Find an old used 16' boat for a couple hundred bucks ... clean it up and slap the 25 on the back. You'll be thrilled.

Latest posts