contemplating trading my 2 stroke for a 4stroke

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to trade my 1990 50hp Johnson 2stroke tiller with a new pow'r tran tilt/trim system for a 2005 50hp yamaha 4 stroke tiller. I would have to give the guy an additional $1500. Good move or bad? Kinda torn here

If there is nothing wrong with the Johnson I would keep it.

IMO bad idea.

Well first compare physical sound ness of each motor, when maintained either one could run for a century. Then ask why your considering this trade? Do you want to be a bit more "green"? Want to use less 2 stroke oil? Want to save fuel? I think they would all be valid points. Both motors will have a steady supply of parts, although BRP is generally cheaper than yami. Also consider resale value, 4 stroke will be a plus, especially years down the road. Personally condition being equal, I'd do it, because I feel bad about the oil I leave in my favorite fisheries.

The guy buys and sells boats and has this motor on the back of a 17ft G3 V hull. He wanted to split up the package to get more money out of it since i expressed interest in the motor. He was going to trade me my motor to put on the back of the G3 to make a complete package. I wanted to get a newer 4 stroke for better fuel economy and because the yammies look so much better than my older Johnson. My motor runs great... just dont know if the extra money and driving 6 hours would be justifiable. The guy seems hesitant on the trade now after further communication because my motor is a 2 cylinder, not a 3...

love my 1988 48hp spl 2 stroke 2 cylinder johnson , (really a 50hp from what I understand.)
Idles great, top end great, already broken in LOL, just sayin.
Tim

If it ain't broke don't fix it IMO. That is a good motor you have so why risk trading to a motor you know nothing about? To the post above yes that 48 is a 50hp, it is just a stripped down version. Usually no VRO system, power tilt and trim etc.... bare bones basically. Something to do with marketing is why they called it a 48.

I don't believe the 3 cyl 50hp came out until 95' and stopped in 99'

The 4 stroke will be heavier, quieter, more efficient, use less oil, not require mixing, more complicated to fix, newer, less powerful and the list goes on and on.

You'll have to decide for yourself which pros/cons make a difference to you.

If it were me, I'd pay the $1,500 in a hearbeat to get a 15 year newer 4-stroke motor (assuming its in good shape).

Your motor is worth somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500 if you sell it on Craigslist.

That 2005 Yamaha might sell for somewhere between $3k and $4k I'd guess.

Sounds like it could be a good deal.

You haven't done it yet?

I'd have done it in a new york minute, knowing the Yamaha motors like I do.

IIRC, the 05 was first year for EFI. If that is correct, I "believe" the F50 and F60 are identical except for the restrictor. Remove restrictor and you have an F60 with F50 stickers ;)

Even if it's carbureted, they're still awesome as long as the carbs aren't clogged. That 4 cylinder runs SILKY smooth all the way down to about 500 RPM ;)

That F50 would sell for around $3000 give or take. The tiller adds another $200-$300 to it. Tiller F50's are not easy to find. Usually have to buy a remote motor and then the tiller kit plus the tiller install kit. The two kits combined are not cheap. In the neighborhood of $750 if memory serves me right (new). Just did one for a co-worker recently, though his is an '03 carb'd F50 on a 1548.

The downside to the 4 stroke. Weight. It's around 240 lbs with PT&T 20" shaft. But the old Johnny isn't THAT much lighter I don't think. Around 20-30 lbs difference which can be made up partially by not having to carry a ton of fuel. I carry 3 gallons and never use it up. It gets old before it gets used up. The 4 stroke is "that" much more fuel efficient, and EFI is even better (if the '05 you are looking at is indeed EFI).

Latest posts