1990 50hp Johnson Prop

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erictetterton

Reaction score
It's a 2 stroke 2 cylinder model J50TELESR. I have the tachometer attached and i am getting 4500rpm WOT, around 33mph on a 1752 alweld. The prop is missing about 1/2" on one of the three blades. The only markings i saw on the outside of the prop says "PROPCO 15"

If i were to replace the prop, what would u put to improve overall performance?

Your recommended RPM is 5000 so assuming the 15 is representing pitch you likely could go to a 14 pitch and pick up some RPMs. This is assuming though and I do not like to assume anything.

Was the RPM reading taking when the prop was damaged already? If so this probably accounts for the 4500 rpm reading and you likely have the correct size prop, just needs replacement. If you have the money and you don't run in in shallow or bad debri filled water an SS will give you better performance. I would stick with the 15 pitch assuming that's what the 15 means. Usually prop stamp will read 11.25X15 or something to that effect.

yes it was damaged at the time of testing. i looked all over the outside of the prop and didnt see any other numbers. I fish in mostly shallow waters and the likelihood of hitting something is probable. i may save my money and put it toward a new impeller and shifter handle.

Latest posts