1972 50 HP EVINRUDE

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKM4874FORD

Reaction score
We just got a 1972 50 HP Evinrude, came with Johnson throttle controls. Started and run great. Paid $250 for it. Was wondering if that was a good deal? The Hood seams to look the age, but the motor was very clean. Which brings me to a few things.

The head is painted a red primer, leads me to think it may have had a replacement somewhere in a previous lifetime. I was thinking it would have paint to match from the from the factory.

The throttle controls were not hooked up, only the started and choke. Does anyone have pictures or a diagram of how that is to hook-up.

Need a breather cover, it does not currently have any kind of air filter.

Will try to get pictures up later.

This will be replacing a 35 Mercury on our 16' Alumnicraft MV Angler. After a complete transom rebuild.

Will the steering controls hook up without any major concerns?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Yes that's a good deal. I do not think this motor came with any air box in front of carburetor. A lot of outboard motors do not have them. Find the model number off the transom bracket or powerhead. I do not think red was used to ever paint powerheads of Evinrudes either.

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1972/50202C/parts.html

Do a compression test on the motor. That will tell you if you got a good deal.

Day late but here are a few pictures Of the motor. Just ignor the mess in the back ground.

Attachments

• IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 5,151
  • IMG_3296.JPG
    IMG_3296.JPG
  • IMG_3298.JPG
    IMG_3298.JPG
Ha didn't even notice the mess until I read it. All I saw was motor :lol: Hey that motor looks pretty clean for a 72. That is the first year of the 2 cylinder looper if memory serves me. Very solid powerplant.

TxTightLiner said:
Is that an Electric-Shift motor?

Just getting into some but I think it might be. Are there problems with those?

The throttle cable is really stiff. May have to replace it.
Drained the lower unit last night and a small amount of water then the oil was pink. Are there some synthetic oils that are pink?

TxTightLiner said:
Is that an Electric-Shift motor?

Just getting into some but I think it might be. Are there problems with those?

The throttle cable is really stiff. May have to replace it.
Drained the lower unit last night and a small amount of water then the oil was pink. Are there some synthetic oils that are pink?

I have a 48hp spl johnson and it does not have a air filter, just some reference for you.
That is clean looking, mine is a 1988 and way dirtier than that. I suspect mine has had
major work done on it before my ownership but it runs great so far, KOW.

A trick we used to use to lube cables was:
Get a plastic bag, small ziplock and cut a small corner piece off.
Slip that corner over the end of the cable.
Use a twist tie and fasten it securely to cable.
Then put oil in the bag and let it soak for a few days.

Good way to get the oil to run all the way down the cable, works like new.

Tim

Muskiemike,

I had an Evinrude 50hp just like that (same colors) when I was a kid. It was a great motor.
As OMC built both Johnson and Evinrude, was never sure what was the difference other than colors...

See attached Evinrude ad:

th_b8953087-2215-4c08-977c-953fd1ec53db_zps2141bab2.jpg

muskiemike12 said:
Seeing that the lower unit is green and not blue, you have a Johnson with an Evinrude hood.

Great find for $250! :)

Incorrect.......Everything 50hp and up in 1972 was grey/green for Evinrude.... The starlite, triumph and lark. The blue engines 40hp and below were the yachtwins, lightwin, fastwin....etc

I also had an early 70's Johnson 25hp with a green housing/white motor cover before my 50hp Evinrude.
I do recall the color being a shade different, as I could not use same spray paint can to touch up.

Love all the coments. Wishing the weather would straighten up so I can get started on the repairs and the swap.

muskiemike12 said:
I guess I didn't know that. I just have never seen a green Evinrude. My 1973 is blue.

Thats because in 73' the only motor leftt with the grey/green was the starflite V4 models. The Triumph 65hp and the Lark 50hp now sported the famous Evinrude blue

If it is a E-S motor you will have to use a certain type of lower end oil.
I belive it's a type C but I maybe wrong. The reason I asked is I have a 50 E-S that looks very similar to your motor. They are great motors if you take care of them like most things.
But there seems to be a shortage of parts for those models.

TxTightLiner said:
If it is a E-S motor you will have to use a certain type of lower end oil.
I belive it's a type C but I maybe wrong. The reason I asked is I have a 50 E-S that looks very similar to your motor. They are great motors if you take care of them like most things.
But there seems to be a shortage of parts for those models.

Would that explain the pink lower unit fluid?

Thanks for the info. I would have put regular off the shelf in without knowing.

Not sure.
You can usually find the E-S type of gear oil at Academy and places like that.
When I changed mine it was a milky pink too , milky oil is usually an indication that water has gotten in there. May need a seal kit hard to say. I haven't put seals in mine, I may check that.