15hp Parsuns vs 15 hp yamaha

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Redmond

Reaction score
Went to my local outboard dealer yesterday,hes got a 2010 parsuns outboard for sale says its identical to a yamaha 15 hp talking about 4 cycle motors here,plain jane models, price is right ,but is it true,says parts are interchangeable between them 2,,anyone know something about this...

All I know is they are Chinese made motors and a lot of reviews say they are complete junk. Their prices are low....but they still don't give them away so I would be afraid to try one and end up stuck with it.
Chris

I struggled with this myself with the "coleman" brand of Parsun made Chinese imported outboards. I did a lot of research and finally decided warranty would take care of issues and I would know if I had a good motor or not at the end of the warranty period.... I was going to buy the 5hp from a sporting goods store. when I was given the name of the "authorized service center" I was told if I had trouble I would be the "lowest of the low" on the list....

I bought a 2001 (Older than I wanted but so clean I had to) Johnson 8hp two stroke. At least If it breaks down parts are easily available (no worrying about interchange whether it is true or not) and its easy to repair.

Sounds like you have a decent dealer with some experience with the motors that's one better than I had when I made the call to go with used

If its a Chinese made motor, I'd stay VERY far away from it.................
Its been my experience that Chinese made 4 stroke engines are pure junk.

they are knock-offs. NOTHING is identical to Yamaha F15/F20. They might appear to be identical, but they are nowhere near.

You get what you pay for.........

the chinese CAN make good products to exacting quality standards.... BUT they usually don't. If they did they wouldn't be cheap and if they weren't cheap why would you buy it?