1974 Mercyry 402

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Reaction score
I picked up a 40 hp motor for a project boat I'm working on. It's a short shaft, electric start and came with the controls.
It has 140 psi in both cylinders and good spark. I've seen it running on a youtube video from last november kind of hard to test a motor in the middle of a northern Illinois winter. The seller pulled a boat and motor out of a barn and put a bigger motor on the boat and sold this motor. He did a lot of work on the motor as it had been sitting in the barn over 10 years. Rebuilt the carburetor, fuel pump, replaced stator, new rectifier, new fuel lines, rewired the motor new water pump and changed out the plastic barbs on the fuel pump with brass barbs. The only issues are the electric choke solenoid is not working and the rewiring was not done to color code.
Sorry no pictures of the motor yet. It's not going on a tin boat it's going on a 10' hydroplane I'm fixing up.

Attachments

• IMG_6048.JPG
    IMG_6048.JPG
    554.6 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 237
Will that thing float you and a 40 horse? LoL That thing should be pretty darn quick if it does. Be sure to have someone video and post them when you test it out.

From what I can find the motor weighs around 160. I'm going to put the battery up front to help balance out the boat.

Strange timing but I was watching this show called Auction Kings today and they had a hydroplane that looked a lot like yours design wise with an air foil on the back and a 35 rude for power. It sold for tidy sum. The star of the show took it out for a test drive before the auction and flipped it. You can find the full episode online if you want to see the whole thing and get the price and all but here's a quick look at it. https://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/auction-kings/videos/hydroplane-wipe-out.htm

crazymanme2 said:
Wow that motor is a tank,my 40hp only weighs 125# (1956 Merc 55E)
That's a great weight to HP ratio 3.1. The 402 comes in at 4.0 pounds for each 1 hp. The 25 hp Mariner on my 1436 jon with recoil start is 4.2.

JMichael said:
Strange timing but I was watching this show called Auction Kings today and they had a hydroplane that looked a lot like yours design wise with an air foil on the back and a 35 rude for power. It sold for tidy sum. The star of the show took it out for a test drive before the auction and flipped it. You can find the full episode online if you want to see the whole thing and get the price and all but here's a quick look at it. https://dsc.discovery.com/tv-shows/auction-kings/videos/hydroplane-wipe-out.htm
I haven't seen that one thanks.
I was looking for a 30/35 for awhile with no luck, the 40 is a little much but the boat is just a toy for sunday morning before anybody else is out on the river.

Latest posts