Help with motor year I.d. On 20 hp Johnson

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishHunter

Reaction score
Trying to Id this 20 hp Johnson motor that is on a 1959 14 foot sea king boat I bought. Looks newer than 1959? There is a serial plate inside that i can look for as well.

It has been sitting a few years. What should I make sure to replace before trying to fire her up? I decked and carpeted this thing (nothing too great) that I will post as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 242
There is a small silver plate on the motor under the cover that has E3417714 on it. I am guessing this is the serial number? Sorry, new boat owner here (other than canoe/raft/float tube) so I am just getting caught up with this stuff. Thanks in advance for your guys' help.

Perfect, thanks! 20R71S. 1971 short shaft.

Now that I know the year so I can purchase/replace parts, what is standard replacement on a motor that has sat for a few years? I will be getting a new gas tank and gas lines so I don't get anything in the motor that is sitting on those things.

Water pump impeller for sure, and most likely need to clean the carb. Might need to rebuild fuel pump and check out any fuel lines for cracks/dry rot. Make sure the mice haven't made a meal of the wiring insulation. If that motor has points you might need to replace points/condenser. Check lower unit oil for water and fix any issues and replace the lower unit oil.

Latest posts