Make your own Gaskets?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
Anyone here make their own gaskets? I'm thinking if possible it would be better to make my own gaskets (some of them anyway) than to have to wait on an order to come in so I'm wondering what type of material should I be looking for? Would need to be gas/oil possibly heat resistant for sure. I checked at a few auto parts stores and saw there were a few types of material: Cork-Rubber, Karropak, Rubber-Cellulose, Pro-Ramic, Rubber-Fiber...Any thoughts?

I'll see about getting some pics :) Mostly boat motors. By Pass covers, exhaust covers, carbs...

In some places you can use an old Shoe Box.
In some cases you need the stuff that looks like Cork.
You can buy Gasket material from any Auto Parts store.

I use a light Gasket sealer, like the Permatex that dont get hard, in some places.

I've even used Head Gaskets over again by Painting them with Silver paint. Let them Dry and put them back.
That's on Any B&S and some Outboard engines.

I usually use gasket material from NAPA and cut them out. If i'm ordering parts yeah I'll spring for the correct gasket but when I pull a carb to soak it or just spray it I'll make my own

Latest posts