25 hp Merc wont shift right into forward or reverse...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

airdawg11

Reaction score
I have a 1990 mercury 25 hp tiller steer that was on a boat I just bought. I took her out for her maiden voyage and it starts up fine. But when I put it in reverse it revs up quickly and shift abruptly. BTW the motor shifts into gear by twisting the throttle one way or the other. When I twist the throttle to put it in forward it doesnt shift into gear immediatly and revs up very quickly, then sometimes if shifts into gear abruptly. I shut it down after that because I didnt want to mess anything up. I dont know if there is something wrong with the shift linkage in the handle or what. I am unsure if something is broken or just out of time. If anyone has any experience with this, it would help greatly.

Thanks,

Aaron

Okay I have an update here guys. A buddy and I fiddled with the motor today and found out it was a throttle tension issue. There is a rod with thread on the end to adjust tension. It was too loose and had the throttle opened pretty good. So every time I set it to forward or reverse that is why it revved so high, and it also caused it not to shift into gear at the right time. That being said, the rod with the threaded end I spoke about seems to be too long and I cannot adjust it anymore. I dont know if this is factory and there is something else I need to adjust that I am missing or if it is an aftermarket piece. I will try to upload a pic tomorrow, but if anyone knows what I am talking about, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Latest posts