Coil/Power Pack Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
I'm afraid I have some bad Coils, I cannot get them to spark at a 7/16" gap which is what I was told they need to do. I can get them to spark at 1/4" but it is not very bright. Would these spark at all if the Power Packs were bad? Would they spark at all if they were bad? I have read somewhere on how to test the PowerPacks/Coils but I'm a little slow (or just don't know anything about what I'm doing) and the info really didn't make much sense to me. This motor still has a miss in it. The Head Gasket is no longer bad but I do have some ByPass cover gaskets leaking which I will fix. All carbs have been cleaned (3 times) This is the same motor I posted about here. Maybe someone here with a little time on their hands could shoot me a call on my verizon with some tips or walk me through the steps to get it checked or just tell me to go ahead and junk it... 8)

you could do this, number the wires from the power pack to the coils. wire 1 to coil 1 etc. Then take the wire(from the power pack to the coil) from one plug that is firing like it should and switch it with one thats firing weak and see what happens. That would tell you if its the coil or the power pack. This is how I would check it I am sure there is a proper way to do it so take it what its worth.

Steve

Evinrude 150xp Model# E150STLCOH. Actually, none of them fire like they should, 7/16 gap but they all fire at a smaller gap 1/4. It's not very bright tho.

Could spark plug wires be a problem? I did some tests using an ohm meter by connecting the leads to the coil wires and to the plug part of the coil and then with the plug wires. I got readings through the coil but not through the wires. Touched one to the unplugged coil wire to the plugged in spark plug wire, no reading, touch it to just the plug on the coil and I get readings.

They could be, are they wire core? If they are then you should get a reading. But if they are old I would replace them anyways cant hurt anything.

Steve

Latest posts