Newbie with problemson 84 johnson 15

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

304boy

Reaction score
ok. I bought this 14ft Jon and it came with this motor that had sit outside for 4-5 years. I started off by taking the carb off and deep creeping the whole motor and carb. I put a carb kit on it but it did not come with the low speed needle retailer that is cracked on mine. After putting it back together I put it in the barrel and gravity fed fuel. It started for a few seconds then died. I took the carb back off and recreated it, as well as a fuel pump kit. I put it back together and while gravity feeding fuel again I got it to start up and run about 7-10 min. I put new plugs in it and same thing 7-10 min. If I tried adjusting the low speed needle or throttling down it would die instantly unless I pulled the choke and it would give it a few extra seconds. Do you think that I am fine and just need the correct fuel tank and line or should it die while throttling down? Please help. I'm new to boating and this site. It may take me a day or two to reply due to lack of internet service on my phone but I thank you in the mean time. ANY opinions will be taken greatly appreciated.

You are able to get it to run about 7 to 10 min, then that is good.

**** Just to make sure you have this motor in a barrel, because if not it will over heat and seize up and damage the cylinder walls, pistons and rings. No to mention damaging the impeller in the water pump.

****Also, remember your motor is not a 4 cycle motor, it is a 2 cycle motor and requires the fuel and oil to be mixed together in the fuel tank. The fuel mix with oil and gas mix together is the motors only form of lubrication. No oil in the fuel, then damage can occur quickly!!

****Fuel ratio is 50:1 (8oz of marine grade 2 cycle TCW-3 oil to 3 gallons of 87 octane gas)

**** Open the vent screw in the tank to allow air to enter the tank to make it easier for the fuel pump to suck fuel from the tank and deliver it to the carburetor bowl. If the vent screw is not open then negative pressure builds up in the tank and prevents the fuel pump from suctioning more fuel from the tank and kills the motor due to lack of gas to the motor.

Here is a link to a online parts store and a diagram for your motor.

0386698 CARBURETOR REPAIR KIT

0315232 RETAINER, Needle valve (the part you stated was missing or cracked??)

https://www.boats.net/parts/search/BRP/JOHNSON/1984/J15RCRM/CARBURETOR%20%26%20MANIFOLD/parts.html

Oh, I almost forgot, here is a link to a very comprehensive site that has a great deal of valuable information about your motor. Pictures, diagrams and how to's !!!!

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Outboard Motor Related/OMC outboard related articles.html

Thanks cajuncook. I will quit wiggling out then. Do you think it will be hard to adjust after I get the retainer?

Latest posts