Fuel tank question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cmint

Reaction score
I have an 81 7.5 ev I bought a couple weeks ago, the motor came with an original metal gas tank. A few days ago I bought a new plastic gas can at academy. I used the old bulb that came on the older gas tank and swapped it out to the new one. Now, with my new tank hooked up to the motor running the fuel line straight to the motor. I'm not getting any fuel to the carb from the fuel pump. Motor runs only in choked position. I already have a new fuel pump on order and should be here tomorrow. My question is do I have to use that old metal tank or can I use my new academy one?

The new tank will be fine. You didn't reverse the squeeze bulb when you switched it to the other tank did you? They have a direction of flow to them. If your bulb is pumping up and getting firm, you might have an air leak in one of the connections that you connected on the new tank.

Also, check the venting situation. On the older evinrudes, they are self venting at the gas tank connection (little pins push in to allow venting). Try running the motor with the tanks gas cap loosened a bit. If it runs well, its definitely a venting problem.

Latest posts