98 Mercury 2.5hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimRich

Reaction score
Took the boat out yesterday and made a couple laps around the lake and as I was coming back to the dock I got a phone call and shut the motor off. Once I got off the phone I tried to crank it back up but it didn't want to start. Luckily I was pretty much at the dock and the wind blew me the rest of the way in. I let it sit about 10 mins thinking it was flooded but still wouldn't start. Once I got it hom I tried to crank it and nothing. Got a back fire but thats it. This is the first time I've had any problems with it, it usually cranks on the first or second pull. I haven't had a chance to check the plug yet. Any ideas what it could be?
Thanks in advance.
Tim

Well, I'm no engine guy, but I'm wondering If the sudden shut down mighty have resulted in an over-temp condition under the cowling. With the engine at a normal running temp, a sudden loss of cooling allows heat to build up higher then it normally would. The is sometimes reflected in fuel issues or, less commonly, failure of electrical components. I think you are on the right track as far as diagnosis. Be sure to carefully examine all the wiring for potential damage. Just my 2 cents.

Check the basics. See if it's getting good spark and fuel. Just any ole spark is not adequate, it needs to be a strong blue spark. If it's weak or orange you have problems. If the plug isn't getting wet, it's not getting fuel. If the plug is dry, try to squirt a little bit (too much will flood it) of your mixed fuel into the carb and see if it tries to start.

Latest posts