1988 Yamaha 8HP

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregfish

Reaction score
Hello everyone. This is my first post. I have a 1548 G3 all welded boat. I fish a lot of restricted hp lakes. I recently bought a 1988 8hp Yamaha 2 stroke motor that is absolutely like brand new. It cranks first pull every time and runs great. I got a great deal on the motor. $200 The performance is about what I expected. Not going to ski behind it but it gets me across the lake and saves batteries. My questions --- are these good motors? Are they prone to problems? Would I notice a big difference if I went to a 9.9hp? Thanks for any comments Greg

I don't have any experience with Yamaha's but for a boat that size I would skip the 9.9 and get something larger. At the very least a 15 hp but would look into something as large as the boat is rated for.

Meets the hp limit regs and cranks first pull every time? Unless you're contemplating a 4 stoke to eliminate mixing gas, I don't see anything to think about. ;-)

gregfish said:
Trying to comply with 10hp limits. I know bigger would be better but you gotta do what you gotta do.

In that case it sounds like a keeper to me. $200 bucks is a nice price to boot.

X2 on that! For that price, I'd happily deal with sluggish performance. If you ever find yourself in the market for a motor to replace that one, I would look into a 25 hp with the popular 9.9 "conversion kit" on it. PM me if you need instructions on how to do this. :LOL2:

I owned lotsa Yammy and all have been great..I doubt Yammy would build any junk..They got a great reputation to protect..I would recomend get a good portable Tac and make sure the prop is within RPM limits..Over loading or Underloading those little motors is not good...cva34

I have a 15hp Johnson on a 1440 flat bottom and after I get a buddy and gear into the boat it doesn't run like I thought it would. My buddy has a 1436 and a 14 HP Johnson and there is actually a big difference between how our motors push MySpace boat. I would go with the. Biggest you can. The older Johnson 9.9/15 are the same sipze and weight with different carbs and model plates and DECALS. You can find them a dime a dozen. A lot of people has the 15hp motor with 9.9 decals. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the replies. When I bought the boat new I put a new 25 hp Mercury 4 stroke EFI motor on it. It would fly. I missed fishing the state park lakes so after 6 years I sold the Merc and got the Yamaha. If I only fished big lakes I would have kept the big motor. I can still fish the big lakes just not as fast! I enjoy the fishing more than the speed. Thanks again Greg

Latest posts