Merc or Yamaha?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWCW

Reaction score
If you were to be able to choose a new 4stroke outboard in the 90hp class and you could choose either a Mercury or a Yamaha, which one would you choose and why? Both of these brands have matching warranties as far as time frame goes. The only other difference is that the Yamaha F90 weights 369lbs and the Mercury fourstroke 90 weights 399lbs. I have a dealer close by that can work with either motor. I have heard many posts in other forums that the Yamaha 90 fourstrokes and other Yamaha class fourstrokes are bullet proof but i cant seem to find many people out there that have had experience with the Mercury 90 fourstrokes or any other Mercury fourstrokes except for the Verados in the higher hp classes. This is probably due to the fact that mercury has DI two strokes in the lower hp ranges (optimax) where Yamaha doesnt have any DI two strokes untill you get to the 150 hp range and higher( VMAX HDPI) and most people with bass boats want DI two strokes. Whats your opinion?

They are both good motors.

All things being equal, the Mercs normally have more torque and a bit better performance because they usually have more displacement at the same hp level than the Yamaha does. Most of the time, that's why one motor will be heavier than the other for the same output.

Even in the 2 strokes, Yamaha tends to turn higher hp out of a smaller motor.

So would you see a difference since they both are rated at 90hp even if one of the blocks has a smaller displacement?

"there is no replacement for displacement"

The bigger one will always have more low end oomph. The larger displacement engines usually last longer as well because they're not working as hard to put out the same hp.

Quackrstackr said:
"there is no replacement for displacement"

The bigger one will always have more low end oomph. The larger displacement engines usually last longer as well because they're not working as hard to put out the same hp.
All I know is i see a lot of import cars that have turned the odometer a few times running at higher rpm's.
you can't go wrong with either of the two motors both have a great rep..
Wayne

How many of those import cars that you see spend 80%+ of their time at WOT?

Apples and oranges comparing boat motors to automobiles. I just bought a new boat and researched the whole thing (motors included) for over a year before I purchased.

I'm not partial to either, either would be a good motor. Just passing along what I have learned after hours of research on the same subject and talking to some very knowledgeable people.

How about the difference in price? And parts?

Generally, Merc will cost a little less and parts will be slightly less expensive. I run twin mercs (150 hp Optimax) on my Mako and have had some issues in the past, mostly three lower units (two covered under warranty)

Go with the Yamaha - just my gut feeling

Quackrstackr said:
How many of those import cars that you see spend 80%+ of their time at WOT?

well my wife's camary has two speeds, sitting in the driveway and wot !!!! she is a speed demon lol i know what you are saying
and agree the smaller motor would also put lees wear on the transom. I have Been running A yamaha on my last 3 boats and they have all been great.. but again merc make a good motor also..

Latest posts