Fuel/Water Separator

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfh1177

Reaction score
I got a 1988 20hp Evinrude with the boat I recently picked up. I'm attempting to do the tune up myself once I figure out out to remove the lower unit. Anyhow, i'm thinking about installing a fuel/water separator from the gas tank to the outboard. Does anyone use these? Have you noticed it's relivance with all the ethanol in the gas?

Have always used them (25+ years) on my offshore boats. Have seen a little increase of water/yellowish fluid during the season since the switch over to ethanol, especially after winter lay up. Thank goodness I had them on when I did the conversion from 100% gas to ethanol as I had 2 tanks to do, a 100 gal and 50 gal and the amount of water/yellowish fluid and gunk was awful... Because of that, I did add a f/w separator to my 16' Lund but honestly I have not seen any indications of water/gunk as yet. Then again, it was easier to empty the 6 gal portable tanks, let dry and re-fuel with ethanol.

Sorry cant help with the ethanol question ..... only run ethanol free in my boats with startron fuel treatment. However i do run a separator on all of them, and never had a problem yet

Just intalled the separator yesterday. I haven't hooked up the hoses yet. Still gotta replace the water pump. I used a $2 cutting board from walmart to use as a mounting plate :D

I run one on my outboard with remote tanks. Can't say it's helped but I know it hasn't hurt save for the cost of yearly filter replacement! I try to rid any gas from these tanks as soon as I can by using them in lawn mowers, weed eaters or any other time I need extra gas I pour it out of my boat tanks! My boat gets the freshest stuff!

Finally hooked up this weekend. Didn't get to try it out yet.

Attachments

• fuel water pump.jpg
    fuel water pump.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 538
Good idea with the cutting board. As others have said, you will save yourself a lot in future maintenance costs

Cfh1177, be careful when screwing on your filter, i had the same unit and hand tightened it and the brass fitting pulled right out of the plastic housing, returned it and went buy an aluminum housing.

Latest posts