New fuel line set up

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
I just bought a new to me 1974 20hp Mercury and I need to set up the fuel line from my 6 gal portable tank to the motor. I want the fuel line to be at least 10 feet long so I can place it in the front of my 14 foot Smoker Craft boat. My questions are:
1. Where do I place the bulb? Near the tank or near the motor or does it matter?
2. Where do I place the in line fuel filter? Before or after the bulb?

Anything else I should look for when stting this up so I get the best performance from this old motor? Thanks for the help.

Well not sure if this is "right", but I have a similar setup as you are looking for.

1. I put the bulb closer to the motor so I don't have to move around when wanting to start. I don't think it would matter too much.
2. I have the inline filter before the bulb on my tin, but it's after the bulb and fuel pump on my Merc 90, so not sure if that really matters or not.

The only other thing that I've done is raise my gas can in the bow up a bit to let gravity help with the fuel flow, not sure it really makes a difference either, but I've had no problems.

Hope that helps.

Not sure there is a right or wrong way. However, the bulbs on my offshore rig are 10-12 feet from the tanks and after the F/W separator. In the Spring (after winter layup), it can be an 'arm sore' to pump the gas thru due to the anti-siphon values (engine fuel pumps will not pull thru).

Latest posts