What is this ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggerhead Mike

Reaction score
Looks like some sort of a cutoff switch to me but I'm really not sure and would like to know the correct name for it. Motor is a 89 Johnson tracker 50. Switch is on the LH side of the trim bracket

Anyway, hit the trim switch on the motor today and smoke started billowing ( and the trim motor didn't kick on). Got the batt cables off and found one of the wires going to this "switch" has about a foot missing that completely burnt up. Wires at the switch to a few inches down are fine so I'm assuming it had a bare spot on the wire and shorted.

Trim seems to be working fine but I didn't want to run it much untill I get this trash repaired.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1364431515247.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364431515247.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 331
  • uploadfromtaptalk1364431542648.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1364431542648.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 331
I can't really see parts diagrams on my phone but I think I've found that its the trim sensor.

Seeing as how my rig doesn't have a trim gauge, does it serve any other purpose?

I haven't really looked at the damage yet, going to take it to my shop where I've got heat and tools in the morning.

Supposed to be hauling this thing to Florida in 7 days. Got to love owning a boat:lol:

That is your trim sender assembly.
That is what drives your trim gauge on the dash.
From your description I would say you had lack of a good ground when you hit the trim switch and the current tried to use the ground wire from that unit to operate.

Thanks a ton paps

Both Pump and the trim sensor wire(s) insulation was rubbed bear at the pivot point causing the short and fire.

Shew, I was in one all time pissy mood last nite. After getting it to the shop for a look I think I came out pretty lucky. Going to replace the wires and go put insurance on it ;)

Latest posts