Adding a Tiller Handle or Double Cable

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
Part 1: Just wondering if anyone has ever added a tiller handle to a console driven motor? I have a 1976 Johnson 40 that I would like to add a tiller to. I've been told that if I add it I will have to change over the rod and gears then put it back in sync with the carb? Anyone care to shoot me a helping hand on this? Main reason I'm doing this is I had planned to put steering back in this boat but have changed my mind. I want to keep the motor thats on it but its setup for a console.

Part 2: I was planning to move the console forward about 12" and adding the steering controls off of a bass boat I have. The controls are double cables, would something like this work?

My boat and motor were remote steer/shift when I got it. I decided to convert the motor to tiller operation and get rid of the console. Once I started looking at the motor I realized it had be tiller control as some point because they had cut the tiller mount bracket off with a hack saw rather than unbolting it. Any ways, I bought the parts I needed on ebay and converted it back to tiller. I'm not sure how well you could steer or shift one with a tiller if it had cables hooked up to a steering wheel and remote shifter unless you had some sort of quick disconnect at the motor or something.

If i understand you correctly You are talking double cable ..which is generally used in high HP apps..It would take up less room to use a single cable steering..set up..easier to make go where you want it..Some people call the old cable steering which used pullys and cable running down both sides of boat to helm(double cable)..I haven't seen it in years but I bet some still use it...my2c...cva34

Yea it's double cable. It's coming off of a bass boat. The bass boat is junk all but the motor and controls. I was going to remove them along with the bilge pumps, trolling motor, batteries, etc. and try to use them on my tin boat. Maybe sell the motor to someone or just junk it.

Yep, thats it. Gonna measure them out today. Probably gonna go pick up the boat also (Sitting at my in laws). Got a little work I want to do to it before it will be completely ready. Thanks.

Latest posts