Johnson spark plug hole problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustin4185

Reaction score
Sharps Chapel, TN (45 min. from Knoxville)
I have a 1989 25 johnson that I messed up the spark plug hole pretty bad. I assumed the worst and pulled the head to look at ot better and take to have a helicoil put in at the repair shop I use and trust. Well I took an old plug and took the washers off and threaded it from the back side and it seemed to straighten them some. I have about half that are good and half that are still a little buggered up. Should I put it back together and wait on the helicoil or go ahead and have it done? I have an older rude I can use in the meantime. I just have a chance to go fishing soon and dont know if I can get it done quick.

I've had success with Save-A-Thread.
Easy to do yourself and only takes about 10 minutes. The kit is about $30.
Available at your local auto parts stores as well.
Good luck.

https://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5334-14-Save-A-Thread-Thread-Repair/dp/B0002SRF4O

One more thing, when I pulled the head, the water deflecter tubes look pretty bad. One has some sort of plastic stuff inn it. Should it be there or not. The parts diagram shows it as a pin, but this one was melted on the end. I plan on changing the deflecter tubes, but do I need to oder the pin also?

do it once and do it right.....!
As mentioned above......the Sav A Thread kit is the way to go. Simple, easy, and bulletproof repair.
Napa sells them.
Buy new deflectors from a dealer. Once melted they begin to block water flow and you will have repeated overheats.

Thanks Pappy, that is what I figured. The shop I use for my agency boats said he would helicoil it for me for $15. He is just down the road. He also has a OMC head gasket for $20. So I am taking the head to him Monday. In the mean time I need to get "Clampy" mounted back on and running. She is a 25 Rude around a '76-78 model. I know she needs a link and sync done, but other than that she is a good motor. Can you tell me the proper way to do it, or point me to a thread?