new old johnson 4hp trim setting?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 10949

Reaction score
got this clean old motor from a guy who claims it was on a sailboat he purchased. dated to 1972 looks great and runs really smoothe. He should have called the cops on me for the price i paid :wink:

I have a question about the angle of the prop. if you look at the first pic you'll see that the motor hangs perfectly vertical, the fin is perfectly horizontal, but the prop faces at an angle downward. this is set as far "up" as i can set it. is this correct position for it? new motors i look at have the prop firing straight out with the fins.

any help appreciated!

see the angle
400px_motor_profile.jpg

hangin out
400px_side.jpg

You could eat off of it!
400px_under_top.jpg

You might have a "Folding" motor. Half way down the shaft, there is a lever and a Hinge for storage. It came in a bulgey looking suitcase. For sail boats especially.

You might have to go to Jail for the lo price if you got the Folding model.

Don't worry about that trim. Go test in on the lake, then you'll know if your hurt enough to holler about. :LOL2:

The 4hp Johnson you have has a weedless lower unit on it. Great for low water areas. The design was meant navigate in low water areas and be less prone to weed entanglement . Great for the crappie and bass fisherman during spawn.

Adjust the tilt to setting that produces the smoothest and speediest ride, which by the way maybe about 5 to 6mph at best. Don't worry about the angle of the lower unit, that is how it made.

Sweet little motor, I have its kin a 1972 Evinrude 4hp. Great little fishing and trolling motors.

Thanks guys! Glad to hear it's perfect for us bass fisherman =D>

we're gonna tear out the old transom sunday night (after fishing!) and have the cops come inspect the trailer. hopefully next weekend i'll be set to take it out on the lake and fire this baby up!