electric start battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilkins26

Reaction score
I have a 78 rude and it has a electric start and was wondering if I will need a seperate batt. for the starter or could I use my tm battery for both...thanks for everyones help

wilkins26 said:
I have a 78 rude and it has a electric start and was wondering if I will need a seperate batt. for the starter or could I use my tm battery for both...thanks for everyones help

if you have a deep cycle battery running your trolling motor I advise not using it to start your outboard. deep cycles are designed to give you a steady slow low voltage output for trolling motors,electronics etc... your outboard starter requires a short high voltage blast to start your motor. a deep cycle will start your motor if you only have to turn it over 2 or 3 times at most and it starts. if for some reason it doesent wanna start easily you will run that deep cycle battery down very fast as it is not designed to be used as a starter battery. I have a small lawn mower battery from wally world that's 350 cranking amps I use to start my motor and it works great, paid 30 bucks for it. its also hooked up to the rectifier so the motor keeps it charged while running. trust me....don't use TM battery to start motor, you will end up with a dead battery sometime and be stranded. unless you have rope start on ur motor for back up...

I agree, use separate batteries. Had to rope start a 88hp Evinrude cause I drained the batt with the trolling motor.
shawnfish, that great idea using a lawnmower battery . If its got enough juice to spin a 25hp 4 cycle, then it should be fine on a 25hp outboard. Plus small size, light weight and lower cost !

Charger25 said:
I agree, use separate batteries. Had to rope start a 88hp Evinrude cause I drained the batt with the trolling motor.
shawnfish, that great idea using a lawnmower battery . If its got enough juice to spin a 25hp 4 cycle, then it should be fine on a 25hp outboard. Plus small size, light weight and lower cost !

even if the TM don't drain your deep cycle the starter on ur outboard will very fast if it don't start on the first few trys...

Latest posts