First time boat owner here, amy advice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the finisher

Reaction score
Hey guys, just picked up my first boat. 13' western with a 1981 johnson 9.9 and 1988 johnson 2.5. both motors run strong, the trailer is nice, and the boat is pretty clean. I replaced the impellor and spark plugs in the 9.9 but on my first trip out I think it started to overheat...smoke coming from the motor. I shut it off instantly and let it cool. Made it back to the dock and now I'm trying to figure out what the next step is. Thermostat? Can I flush the cooling passages some how? Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

I'm kinda sure. The drive shaft spins clockwise right? I watched a you tube video, and did it exactly the way it was done in the vid. When I removed the lower end of the motor to replace the impellor, I found sand in it. I'm kinda thinking the previous owner ran the motor in shalow water and sucked sand up.

There's a good chance the water tube was misaligned when you put the LU back on.
The water tube must be inserted correctly into the water pump.
Also, did you verify the rubber grommet is in place?

How do I know its lined up correctly? I'm gonna pull the lower unit in a little while. The seal on top of the impellor housing was kinda worn when I pulled it the first time. They didn't have one at the marine shop. Im waiting for the whole kit in the mail.

the finisher said:
How do I know its lined up correctly? I'm gonna pull the lower unit in a little while. The seal on top of the impellor housing was kinda worn when I pulled it the first time. They didn't have one at the marine shop. Im waiting for the whole kit in the mail.

I tilt the leg up when I do mine.
Apply some molly lube or white lithium grease to the splines of the drive shaft (sides only, not the top).
Install the rubber O-ring in the groove just below the drive shaft splines.
Apply some oil on the end of the water tube & rubber grommet.
Also, have plenty of light available so you can see as the water tube approaches the pump, and don't force it.
Be sure to apply some gasket sealant to all screws/bolts.

Good call on ordering the complete water pump kit. It takes the same amount work/time as installing only the impeller.
While you're waiting on the mail, you can do a few practice runs. Let us know if you run into any snags.

Will do. I brought the motor to work with me this morning thinking I wouldn't have much to do. Turns out I got work now. So I'm gonna have to wait till this evening to tear into it. But as far as lining stuff up. I didn't even check. I just stuffed the shaft up there. Didn't have to force anything, but it very well might be lined up wrong. I'll let you know what I find when I try it again.

the finisher said:
Will do. I brought the motor to work with me this morning thinking I wouldn't have much to do. Turns out I got work now. So I'm gonna have to wait till this evening to tear into it. But as far as lining stuff up. I didn't even check. I just stuffed the shaft up there. Didn't have to force anything, but it very well might be lined up wrong. I'll let you know what I find when I try it again.
Had to laugh. Everyone should be able to take an OB to work just in case they have a spare moment lol.

Here is some good reading

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Lower_unit.htm

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/water_circulation.htm

krawler said:
Here is some good reading

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/Lower_unit.htm

https://www.leeroysramblings.com/water_circulation.htm

Great link!! I read about 1/3 of it and think I may have figured out my problem. I think I put the impellor key in the wrong place. Its in the top of the pump housing between the alignment seal. There's a groove in it. My impellor isn't turning. Just hope that doesn't cause more problems!

Here's a couple. Nothing special, but the trailer is in really good shape. Lights and wiring, wheels and tires are brand new, also the skids. I replaced the wiring, lights and switches on the boat.

The 9.9 is at work. But i'll put a couple pics up when I get there.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1366209604748.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366209604748.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 420
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366209623877.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366209623877.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 420
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366209635982.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366209635982.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 420
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366209646962.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366209646962.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 420
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366209655784.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366209655784.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 420
  • uploadfromtaptalk1366209671343.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1366209671343.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 420
Well, a little update. After reading the leeroy's rambling article that krawler linked for me. I figured out that I had the impellor key in the wrong place. So I re-did the impellor install (correctly this time). Lol
Just stuck it in a trash can and ran it for about ten minutes at half throttle. No problems whatsoever!!!! I could hold my finger on the block the whole time I ran it. I'm so stoked!! Thanks guys for all the advice. Now to see if I can hook into some stripers tomarrow morning!!

Latest posts