77 20hp gas/running problem..gas line? carb?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NugHunter

Reaction score
last time it ran when i gave it gas it would bog down unless i let off the gas..it would idle ok..give it gas..bog down...keep pumping the bubble and it would run....now it wont start and backfires...i installed new plugs and if i pump the bubble while i pull it it wants to start but wont...i stuck a small screw driver into the gas line end and pumped the bubble to make just gas was coming out..it was...when i attach it to motor and pump bubble i see gas flow in the carb.

what are the typical symptoms when gas line goes bad?
could it be clogged carb?
bad gas? gas seems a little blue..using quicksilver oil

yelp !

certaily sound like a carb issue to me. the slightest restriction in a fuel jet can cause hesitation and the bogging down issue you describe. I would start with a good carb clean/rebuild. Kits are relitivley inexpensive.
When it comes to carbs its worth doing it right!

Is this problem with your merc 200? I've had similar symptoms with water in the float bowl or a piece of trash in a jet. I'd try a quick cleaning of the carb and see if that doesn't solve the problem. If you find water in your float bowl I'd examine the fuel tank.

Latest posts