Motor swap/ steering control question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltyDog

Reaction score
I bought a new tin a few weeks back. It didn't come with a motor which was fine since I already had a 35hp merc ready to use. The original motor on the boat had blownup according to the PO. The boat was set up with remote steering for a Yamaha motor and has Yamaha controls.

My question is can I hook the merc up to the same control box and use the same cables? Is there any adapter kits I would need? I've heard stories of this being possible and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this or know of it being possible.

Thanks

What model control box and how long are the cables? I might be in the market to shorten my rig up and move my side console back some. If you find out that they're incompatible I might be able to take them off your hands;)

When I got my boat it had been "rigged" with a chrysler control box. It wasn't very pretty to look at but it was "functional" I guess. LoL I ended up converting mine back to tiller control. But I do have an older merc single lever control if you'd be interested in that. I bought it to use on my boat back before I decided to convert it back to tiller control. It's in decent shape but the Idle-up/Warm-up knob has a little piece of the edge broken off. I planned to relist it on ebay but just haven't gotten around to doing that yet. PM me if interested.

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00191.jpg

DSC00192.jpg

The controls are Yamaha 703. The cables are about 6 to 7 feet long I would say. Iam going to take the whole rig to a marine shop to see if it can be done. If they don't work I will def let ya know.

Latest posts