1974 Johnson 9.9 Hard to pull start

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas_Nova

Reaction score
I recently acquired a 9.9 Johnson shortshaft (10R74S). I have replaced the plugs, repaired the coils, added new knobs and cleaned the carb. I bought and installed a used recoil starter for it and when I pull on the rope it feels like I'm trying to turn over a motor with 500 PSI compression. I pulled the plugs and the motor turns over just fine when pulling on the rope. I have tried to rope start it from the flywheel as well and it feels as it should. I do realize there is a significant gear reduction with the recoil starter as compared to the flywheel starting method but I have never had to pull so hard to try and start any motor. I am using NGK spark plugs (B7HS) but might try the next hotter heat range plugs (BR6HS)
Any advice or comments would be fantastic.

Thanks!

has the motor sat for a bit? my johnson 9.9 was rough to start after winter so i sprayed some Wd40 in the cylinders with the plugs out and cycled it a bunch, it helped free them up and cycle smoothly (motor oil may be a better option). then a squirt of gas and it cranked right up

More than likely the motor has sat for a few months at least. I had oil in the cylinders for a week or so before I emptied it and started to try and turn the motor over.

Latest posts