It won't go down

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lancej2

Reaction score
I got it up guys, and it won't go down !!! My motor won't trim down....it will go up, go figure. Any ideas ? Thanks folks.

I'm assuming you have automatic tilt/trim. I knew someone who had there's frozen in the up position after the winter. I forgot how they got it down, if they used wd40 or took it to the mechanic.

Depending on the wiring if it has 2 relays one is UP and one is DOWN. Swap them and see if you have the opposite problem. If so, replace relay.

If not, post back but those relays going bad is not uncommon.

Gotem said:
If it lasts for over 8 hours go to the hospital.
What a cut up !!! Thanks guys, it was the relay....it was odd, I swapthem and the up and down works now. I thought just the down would work.Now I know some things you can get at any auto store ( like a fuse) are those relays one, or are they a dealer item ? Thanks for all the help.

Back when I had power trim on a bigger boat Advance Auto ran the number but could find the part. So we started going through the boxes of relays and we found one. Couldn't tell you the number but you have to compare the relay diagram. It probably isn't worth doing though you save a few bucks but they're not marine grade.

When I used to work on F-16's that would happen a lot. Swap the relay and then it would begin to work again for a little while or even worse, be intermittent. Best to change it out because it will fail again before too long.

Latest posts