evinrude help onstarcraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakerboys

Reaction score
I have a 14 ft starcraft vhull and a 9.8 nissan 4 stroke and it pushes it with 2 people 23 mph
But also bought a evinrude 18 hp 1972 model it ran when bought it but first time out it cranked and ran then cut off and left me stranded in pond i was able to keep starting it to get in but felt like it was slipping like a clutch slippi.g in a car one time took off boat stood up and then it was reving and i was moving but could tell it was slipping
I checked sear pin its good do those propellers have hubs that can go bad
Also how do you adjust the idle / mixture knob tha.ks

yep - take the prop off. Hold it so you are looking where the thrust washer would sit. Looking inside out you will see the splined hubm then the rubber hub, then the hub the blades are part of. Use as punch and mark the outer hub and inner hub so the marks line up. Put the prop back on a run it. Remove the prop again. IF the parks still line up then the hub is OK. IF the marks don't line up the hub is slipping. I'll try to find a pic to show what I am trying to say.

hub1.jpg
Mark the silver ring, and also the outer black ring with a punch mark.

Any chance you have a 20" transom and a 15" shaft motor? Other then that I would think you should be hearing all kinds of noise.

Is the anti-ventilation plate near even with the keel?

I beleive it to be right it sits like the 4 stroke at bottom of boat so i may have biv problems then because shear pin is not broke so if it dont have a hub to spin Out may have bad bottom end

bakerboys said:
Any sugestions that would cause slip

Is your prop 1 piece? Being that it is a drive pin prop it could still have a rubber hub. If it's 2 piece I would put a mark on the blade portion of the hub in line with the slot for your pin. Run it and see if the mark still lines up.

dkonrai said:
clutch dog is worn, or forward gear. shifter could need to be adjusted as well.
dino

I think you will be hearing all kinds of noise and the motor will be hard to shift, or popping out of gear if dog goes bad. A clutch dog is not like a clutch in a car in that it can "slip"? to get you going.

Latest posts