1st time out vid and rope wont recoil

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfh1177

Reaction score
Finally finished the tune up on my motor and took it out for the first time yesterday. I clocked it at 23mph (24 with the wind to our backs :wink: ). I was very pleased. It may need a carb cleaning though. Once it got passed that initial few pulls to get started, it'll start right up on the first pull.

https://youtu.be/UE2xfhl6IKc

Anyhow, the last time we started the pull rope didn't recoil. So...what do I need to do about that? I can tug on it but the coil will just not release. Any thoughts?

You'll probably have to take the recoil apart. If it's not a broken spring, it could be rust and dirt and as simple as a good cleaning. My 20 merc had so much dirt and spiderwebs in it when I got it that it wouldn't recoil. A little cleaning was all it needed and it works great now. Since yours was working and suddenly failed, I fear you're in for some parts replacement.

JMichael said:
Since yours was working and suddenly failed, I fear you're in for some parts replacement.

Yeah, that's kind of what i'm anticipating but I can't imagine it being a major fix. Though, i've never done anything like that either. I have a wet week ahead of me. Maybe the rain'll let up by the weekend so i can start round 2 of tinkering.

Latest posts