Help identify this Johnson OB (pics added)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMichael

Reaction score
A buddy just returned from an auction today with a boat, motor, and trailer in tow. As it turns out, the Johnson motor is missing the model/serial plate. Is there any way to identify the motor with just the serial. The serial from the freeze plug is E3435191. Just guessing, I'd say it looks to be a 20-25hp motor from the late 70's to early 80's but that's just guessing on my part. Can anyone help identify this motor. Thanks.

I'll get some pics and post them the next time I go out to his house but that may be a few days from now.

muskiemike12 said:
Missing serial # = stolen motor.
The serial # isn't missing, I already posted it. What's missing is the model # plate. And whatever past this boat/motor/trailer may have experienced, it's current status is that it was legally acquired via a licensed state auction with a valid bill of sale and a current state registration/license.

Here are pics I took of the motor today.

DSC00425_zps76c99162.jpg

DSC00426_zps70d5b80e.jpg

DSC00427_zps2b0db93b.jpg

DSC00428_zpsc339e6f5.jpg

It's a early 70's model for sure. It could be a 20-25 hp, but it looks very similar to the '73 40 hp Johnson I used to have.

I believe it is a 20 or a 25 also, very early 70's. Don't think it is any larger with it having a single carb.

Pretty much identical to my 75 25hp evinrude. It is either a 20 or 25. My guess would be 25 just because they are much more common.

In the third picture on the powerhead, there is a silver/grey circular plate right above your fuel pump. Your serial number could be engraved into that plate, mine was. Write that number down and search it online. Maybe boats.net or marineengine.com. That should tell you what motor it is.

Does anyone know of a way to determine whether it's a 20 or a 25hp? Something other than taking the whole motor apart preferably.