Proper tilt position

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ol sarge

Reaction score
I was finally able to get the boat out on the water yesterday and test my new 1974 20 hp Mercury for the first time. It is on a 14 ft smokercraft. It started on the first pull and pushed the boat really well and sounded great. My questions is, what hole position should the motor be positioned in. There are 6 hole positions and it is on the bottom hole. The reason why I ask is that the front end of the boat was way to high out of the water for my liking and I think it hurt the performance a little. The motor is very fast out of the hole and gets right up on plane, but I think it should be adjusted. Any thoughts on moving it to the third or fourth hole position from the bottom to get the front to stay down. Other than that, for a 40 year old motor, it rocks! Thanks.

Tim

raising it will only raise the bow

sounds like you need more weight @ the front of the boat

Well I dont want to raise the bow any more so it looks like I need to move the fuel tank and TM battery to the front of the boat. Thanks for the assistance.

Tim

you're welcome, probably moving just 1 of those would fix the issue

w/ the cost of copper wire versus fuel line, it's cheaper to move the fuel tank

If the bow is too high the motor needs to be trimmed "in" meaning lower unit closer to the transom. If its already in, more weight needs to be closer to the bow or slower speed. If carrying an person you should be able to move the motor out a hole or two. It will be trial and error to get it right. After a while you'll be able to guesstimate and get it darn close if not on the money.

Guys, Thanks for the tips. I am in the process of moving both the 6 gallon fuel tank and my TM battery to the very front of the boat. It is wasted space and it just makes more sense since I mostly fish alone. I am also going to add a 70lbs sand tube (for you non snow guys, you put these over the rear axle on your truck to give you more tractions in the snow) up front to even things out. I will let you know how things go.

ol sarge said:
Guys, Thanks for the tips. I am in the process of moving both the 6 gallon fuel tank and my TM battery to the very front of the boat. It is wasted space and it just makes more sense since I mostly fish alone. I am also going to add a 70lbs sand tube (for you non snow guys, you put these over the rear axle on your truck to give you more tractions in the snow) up front to even things out. I will let you know how things go.
Thats all the right stuff for getting the bow down. Thats how most of them boats ride they dont really pane just get over the hump. With the bow up is going to be your fastest speed but dosnt feel as comfortable. Two more things are you can get a hyrofoil the wing thing that clamps on the motor. It will lift the stern up to put it more level to bring the bow down and might be able to use another tilt position for more speed. If your solo most of the time move yourself make an extention of the bench about a foot farther forward. Just enough for your butt so you can sit sideways to reach the tiller without twisting your back. On mine I mounted a seat just ahead of the bench. Used to be a stand up fisherman in a small boat. With a telescoping padded seat moved forward. Very comfortable all day fishing set up

What prop does that old Merc have, 2 blade or 3? If it is a 2 switch to a 3 and that will give you more stern lift as well. I run a sand tube as well in the bow of my tinny!

Latest posts