Nissan or Tohatsu ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0331grunt

Reaction score
Need some input...I'm looking at buying a new outboard. Thinking about Nissan or Tohatus. How are these motors ? Are they the same motor, just different names. The Tohatus is about $30.00 cheaper.
Thanks for your help....

From what I've read...the same motor as well as some mercury's.They also are going to be making 15hp and below evinrudes.

I am told that all the 10 HP and under Nissan, Tohatsu, Mercury and maybe the rudes all go down the same line and get different decals at the end of the line.

I just bought a new 3.5 Tohatsu (restricted lakes) online from a dealer in TN delivered for a lot less than the local prices.

If all things are virtually equal and you can not decide, then go with the one which has a dealer close to you that has good customer service. Also my buddy had a new 9.9 merc a few years ago and then it started acting funny. He brought it back to the dealer twice and they then showed him what the issue was. It was a tiny spec of dirt that got into the motor. Moral of the story go with a dealer you like if the price is close and have an external fuel filter.

Exactly the same motors,dif decals and the nissans are a few more bucks.Even the the mercs are basically the same from 30hp and under.Tohatsu makes all the mercs,nissans and of course their own from 30hp and under.The new 15hp and under evinrudes are tohatsus with evinrude decals to.So long story short all the motors are the same except for maybe a few small features like the mercs.I perfer the mercs for the ratchet system that none of the other outboards have.You don't have to constantly move a pin up and down like the nissans,tohatsus,or the evinrudes,now saying all that you will pay more for the mercs but to me the ratchet system is priceless.

The ratchet system gives you the ability to move the motor into 5 or 6 dif positions from shallow water back down to reg running position without the single move of the pin,with all the other motors you must move the pin everytime to adjust the tilt.The nice part is when you hit shallow water you move the motor up as you will here it click into place then when you get into deeper water again all you need to do is tilt the motor all the way up and it will come right back down to reg running position. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The boat dealers around where I live are charging close to $650-$800 more for a Mercury than I can pick up a Tohatsu for. As for the pin thing my Johson has the pin and I never move the pin and the motor will rise or fall if I go into shallow water. just don't lock into position.