fuel water separator

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
Thinking about installing a fuel water separator on my 09 ETECH 40. I'm not looking for the most expensive on the market, but I want a good one. What do you guys run and why?

racor makes the best, but they're not cheap

not exactly a high tech device though, i doubt there's much difference in the actual mounts, probably not a whole bunch of difference in the filters either

here's a Moeller mount & filter for $30 on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Moeller-Separating-Aluminum-Universal-Mercury/dp/B000MTB6XE/ref=sr_1_17?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1368043151&sr=1-17&keywords=racor+water

and if you read the reviews, don't listen to the idiot recommending brass fittings, dissimilar metals cause corrosion problems, you want to use ALUMINUM 3/8 npt fittings not brass

i've always run sierra filters on my I/O and my outboard, but only because they're readily available in stock @ oreillys, wal-mart, & west marine

both of those boats had system installed when i purchased the boats, so no clue which mounts i'm using, they're pretty rusty on the outside though!

i'm gonna replace the mount on my flats boat w/ that moeller mount/filter soon, & then next season when i change filters install a racor filter. the racors flow more fuel while filtering better, that's why they cost so much more. it's like fram versus k&n for your truck's oil filter, both work, k&n costs a lot more & works marginally better

Been using Racor on my offshore rig for over 20+ years with no issues whatsoever. They are the recognized leader but other brands might be as good.

Each Racor filter is rated for flow rate and filtering capability (in microns). Some of the other brands don't list the micron size and can be as large as 250 microns. Most engine manufacturers suggest a 10 micron filter with today's fuels.

Mounts are available in aluminum (known to corrode in certain conditions) and stainless steel.

It doesn't appear that the fuel water separator kits come with fittings. Just plugs. The only thing I've been able to find online is n anti siphon fitting. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?